Honda BF20 Can't Get Out of Gear After Replacing Impeller

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2003 Honda 20hp SHA

So after replacing the impeller kit and putting the lower unit back on, I can't get it out of gear. It's stuck in forward. With the Lower Unit installed, the prop turns when the motor turns, but it won't shift out of gear. When I take off the lower unit the prop spins fine (turning the prop turns the vertical shaft). Also with the lower unit off I can shift the shifter just fine. Only problem comes when everything is connected and the lower unit is reinstalled.

Help! Please tell me this is something that can be fixed without buying a whole new lower unit.

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda BF20 Can't Get Out of Gear After Replacing Impeller

Hi,
The shifer shaft is of a reciprocating type, so while putting back the lower unit the gear lever should be in neutral and the lower unit should be in neutral ie while rotating the props vertical shaft should not rotate. After sliding it up slowly ensure that the long nut doesnt touch the shifter shaft of the lower unit after the unit is attached, slowly link the long nut to the lower unit linkage arm and lock it with the short nut in the lower unit side.
This will solve your problem
bye cheers

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... and the lower unit should be in neutral ...

That's my problem... It's in gear now (forward) and I am unable to get it out regardless of whether the lower unit is installed or not.

As it is, when the lower unit is fully installed the shifter shaft coming from the lower unit is too far "up" to reach in order to connect to the upper unit shifter shaft.

When I installed it this last time I had a friend hold the lower unit midway on so that I could connect the shifter shaft thinking that I'd be able to shift it out of gear once everything was fully installed and bolts tightened. This is when I realized that it does not want to shift out of gear. I'm beginning to think that my only option is to get at the gears somehow (through the prop hole?) and see what's binded up. I'm hoping that it's just something out of alignment, but I definitely don't want to open up the lower unit unless absolutely necessary as I'm a novice.

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice

HI,
Now the thing i suspected is clear, Previously while mounting, the shifter shaft was not aligned and while you slided back the lower unit it was not seating properly so you made it possible by tightening the four bolts. So now no worries the shifter is stuck, try pulling out shifter arm on the lower unit you cannot reach the gears through the propeller holes.nothing serious has happend to your lower unit but a little patience is required to align and fix in the before said procedure. Please tell me in what position is your gear lever and which side the props rotate presently

Cheers

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... Please tell me in what position is your gear lever and which side the props rotate presently...

The lower unit is in Forward... I verified this by pulling on the starter cord and seeing that the prop turns the way it would to propel the boat forward.

When I put everything back together the gear lever was also in forward. (It moves freely with the lower unit disconnected.)

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited: