2003 Honda BF5 broken fuel pump?

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I currently have a Honda BF5 from 2003 which is starting to aggrivate me!

It was running flawlessy for a long time, however.... Recently I believe my fuel pump is DEAD. Here is what it does.....

I will pump the gas bulb till its fairly hard, fire up the motor (usually 1st or 2nd pull) Once it is warmed up I put it in Forward and all works well..... About 3-5 minutes later she will sputter out and the gas bulb will have no gas left in it. If I pump up the gas bulb again, it seems to work fine. However after this occurs about 2-3 times.... I have to than continually pump the gas bulb or the motor will die out within a few seconds (of course when on full throttle)

This problem may be total random however I would like to address this too.... Sometimes the motor will be running like a champ than BAM! it sputters out, gas will be in the primer bulb etc. When it does this randomly it than takes about 30-40 minutes to finally start up again. I almost think it is due to overheating, however the water pump is always working perfect when this occurs. Could it possibly a gremlin in the carb?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am ready to give up and get a high thrust trolling motor to push my sailboat out of the channel! (those never break)

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2003 Honda BF5 broken fuel pump?

I will certainly check this out later! The tank / hose was purchased at a salvage yard.... So that is highly likely

gss036

Commander
Re: 2003 Honda BF5 broken fuel pump?

This post is almost a year old now, why respond?