Using a BRP Remote with a 2001 Tohatsu M40D?

joey46987

Recruit
I have a 2001 Tohatsu M40D with a BRP Remote. I was wondering it its possible to use this remote with the Tohatsu engine.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Using a BRP Remote with a 2001 Tohatsu M40D?

Short answer: Probably, sort of. But there are a LOT of things to sort out. And you need more details.

Long answer:

As long as the control cables are standard Morse type (10-32 thread), and as long as the motor has the cable clevis fittings and brackets -- or you order them from a dealer, you will get throttle and shift, though the Johnson/Evinrude lever(s) may operate in reverse of what you expect, depending on the control. Some J/E controls were reversible, so you may be able to overcome that, maybe not.

If it's an electric start setup, you will need to sort out the wiring/harness, and may ultimately end up with a Tohatsu ignition switch. Some J/E switches were electric push-to-choke, some not. Also, some were magneto-ground to stop, some were coil-open to stop

Is the motor setup as an EP model (electric start/remote/electric choke)? If not, you may want to get the appropriate conversion kits for the control from a Tohatsu/Nissan dealer.

If all you want is throttle and shift, and IF it's a modern BRP (J/E) control, you should be able to get that, but you may not get high idle warmup and those convenience items.

The proper Tohatsu control (as most manufacturers) is a complex, coordinated unit, and the price reflects that.

joey46987

Recruit
Re: Using a BRP Remote with a 2001 Tohatsu M40D?

i am only using the remote for throttle and nothing else. The outboard is a tiller drive right now and i am converting it for remote use. The remote is almost brand new and the guy i bought the engine from gave it to me with the engine. free is alot better than paying $400 for the tohatsu remote! I really dont care about the high idle warmup because I live in key west, and warming up the enigne gets done rather quickly. I really appreciate the help!