1996 Honda BF 75 Pilot Screw Adjustment

Engineer1

Cadet
I have a 1996 Bf 75.I cleaned the carburetors and was wondering if anybody knows the correct piolt screw adjustment.I brought it to a shop and had the carbs.synk done at idle but it now has rough idle.

Engineer1

Cadet
Re: 1996 Honda BF 75 Pilot Screw Adjustment

every time I try to adjust them it seems to have no effect.The RPM's stay the same.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had 75HP like your for 2250Hrs, and then did a repower. The first thing I would suggest is to check your thermostat. Make sure it is closing when the engine is cold. I was having idle problems for a while until I finally figured it out. Once the stat was changed the idled and ran a lot better. Regarding the carbs, You need to use a vacuum gauge with a restriction in the hose to adjust the pilot screw properly. Adjust for max vacuum and rpm for each carb.

Engineer1

Cadet

Thank you for the info.I will try the Thermosstat and see if that helps.How did you like your Bf 75? Did you have any other problems?

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lets just say I learned about about upkeep and maintenance of that motor.
The biggest issue is that the fuel has to be kept fresh and clean. A water separator fuel filter is a must. The best thing you can do is to use the boat on regular basis. Cut the oil change interval to fifty hours, not one hundred. Replace the impeller and t-stat at the same time. I also bought a carb sync tool (100 bucks) from a motorcycle shop to do my own tuneups.
Overall the motor is good, once you learn how to do the tuneups, and carb care work.
Nick

Engineer1

Cadet

I would like to find out where I can a carb.synk. tool.The honda shop down here wants 560.00 for it.If you have a contact number for the place where you got your's from I would like purchase one.Matt

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carb sync tool that I use is called the "SyncPro" made by Motion Pro. I was able to get it from a motorcycle shop for about $100.

Engineer1

Cadet
Help needed1996 BF 75 leaking oil from shift linkage

Help needed1996 BF 75 leaking oil from shift linkage

I have a oil leak on a 1996 Honda BF 75 comming from the bottom of the shift linkage where it goes to the lower unit.It only leaks when the motor is trimmed up for awhile then trimmed back down.

Last edited:

Peter Johnson

Recruit

screw the pilot screw all the way in and then unscrew 1.5 full turns
then adjust the tickover screw on the throttle linkage to a comortable speed so it does not stall - this has to be done with the engine warm.
regards.