throttle adjustment on 30 tohatsu

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an older 30hp tohatsu that runs pretty good but on wot I have to pump the primer bulb periodically to keep plenty of fuel to the motor. I cleaned the fuel filter out and there were lots of gunk in the bottom. I havent had it back on the water yet but at idle on the water hose the primer bulb feels kinda firm but Im not exactly sure how firm it should be. I guess 80% of it was solid. Is this right or should I not be able to squeeze it at all? Another problem I had was the throttle screw is out of adjustment. Whats the best way to set this? I would think the best way would be on the water at wot but was wondering if there was an easier method,thanks

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: throttle adjustment on 30 tohatsu

time for a carb clean aswell .... turn the throttle screw in half way ... use thread lock to keep it there ....

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The best way to set anything can be found in your service manual. You need a manual as a guide to keep you from adjusting things incorrectly.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Adjustments are only perform at idle only, change gas pump diaphragm if having to prime at wot, in use the bulb is not as firm as when you firts prime the engine, do a good inside carb clean spraying carb cleaner.

Happy Boating

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks,will look into getting a manuel and will check on the diaphram and carb clean. There is a dealer a few miles from my house. I plan on taking it up there this weekend. Hopefully he will have some of the parts I need. I do have another question though. The model# on my engine is m30a. I found a parts manuel online for model# m30a4. Would any of you know if this is close enough. It looked identical but it was for a 2003 motor so I figured there have to be plenty of changes. I have this motor on an 11 ft. dell quay dory. When I get the engine right whats a good estimate on how fast it should run? The reason I ask is because the next time I take it out I was planning on bringing my gps to see what its running. The first time I took it out was awful the tilt was set too high and the boat was porpoising pretty bad. The last time it ran much much better but I know its no where near being right yet. Just wanted a rough ball park figure to go by. thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

A 30 A has different everything on it(almost) and some parts are now obsolete due to it being 30 years old. Speed would depend on a lot of factors, but 23 to 25 on a dory.