Honda 5HP 4 Stroke..Leave Running or Not When Flushing?

rginnis

Recruit
Dealer said turn it off when flushing (said can burn water pump out) => Sea Sea Marine in Boca Fl.
Read somewhere else put it in neutral when flushing?
Was thinking it should "pee" when flushing and should be on? Thanks in advance. WHAT IS CORRECT???? :confused:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Honda 5HP 4 Stroke..Leave Running or Not When Flushing?

it needs to idle in neutral when flushing, otherwise what is the point ... the motor needs to run for the fresh water to flush through all the water channels in the motor .....

gss036

Commander

If your motor is like the new ones I have and have seen, there is a fresh water hose bib for a hose to fit and run water through the systems on both my Honda and Yamaha and both say DO NOT RUN ENGINE. If you are using the MUFFS, yes then you need to run the motor and leave it in idle position.

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

What year is the motor? I have a 2003 bf5 and I have to run it in a bucket, unless im doing something wrong...

rginnis

Recruit

IT IS A 2009 HONDA 5HP 4 STROKE
AND IT HAS THE PORT THAT YOU UNSCREW AND PUT THE NIPPLE IN WITH THE HOSE. SO IN THIS 2009 MOTOR AM I SUPPOSED TO RUN ENGINE IN NEUTRAL OR NOT LIKE THE DEALER TOLD ME????
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

gss036

Commander

You need to run it in a bucket. If you flush it with the hose attachment, ""DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR"" or you will ruin it. Read you owners manual if all else fails. Not trying to be rude, but that the owners manual is for.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, read the manual. There will be a lot of other important info in there besides just flushing.

MAS

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Topic you will never get a strait answer on. DEEJAYCEE is correct that you will not get a good flush unless you run the motor. How else will water get by the thermostat? Small motor like that, why not run it in a garbage pail?
Have an F-115 and I do run it on a hose fitting at idle for 10 min. , so far have not had a problem. Boat is on a lift so I cant use ears. If I do find that I am prematurely destroying the pump, next trick will be drilling bleed holes in the thermostat disk to allow circulation with a cold block. regards FRED

gss036

Commander

Fred, I haven't looked at the stats in my new motors, but I think Merc started putting vent hole some time back. I would think they would have them on all the new motors, the water really flows through the engines when using the hose bib. Especially the T9.9 Yamaha.

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

I would like to place my honda bf5 inside the garbage pale with no water and take it to the curb :)