Nissan 1998 9.8 question

eddy2419

Seaman Apprentice
How many turns out from bottom should the adjustment screw be on the carb? What does this adjust?

Also before even fooling with the screw the engine would only crank and run for a short time if the throttle is wide open. Now it will only act like it wants to start but will not only if the throttle is wide open. It has spark.

New gas and plugs. Fuel but no water in the bowl.

Clogged carb jet?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 1998 9.8 question

Stop now and get a service manual before you go any further.

eddy2419

Seaman Apprentice

Stop now and get a service manual before you go any further.

The way I've treated it the service manual would cost more than the motor is worth.

I seem to remember 3 1/2 turns. Anybody know? Any Nissan guru's out there?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's just an initial start point for the air mixture screw.....Anywhere from 1 to 3 out and it will start long enough for you to dial it in. The service manual has the the factory initial start point at 1 3/8. If you are going to work on an outboard you need to get a service manual for that outboard or you are going to make a tragic mistake one day.

pvanv

Admiral

It's just an initial start point for the air mixture screw.....Anywhere from 1 to 3 out and it will start long enough for you to dial it in. The service manual has the the factory initial start point at 1 3/8. If you are going to work on an outboard you need to get a service manual for that outboard or you are going to make a tragic mistake one day.

I have to agree with Elvin 100%. I would add and _stress_ that you want a Factory manual, not an aftermarket doorstop.

From your questions, it's clear that you're not all that familiar with general OB service. The manual will be requisite for you, and stand you in good stead.