2000 Honda Bf 75 oil leak

Engineer1

Cadet
Iam new to Honda outboards.I just pulled the starter off and there is oil all over so I vacuumed the oil out about 1 quart.Reinstalled the starter and ran engine for about 1 hour.checked the oil and it was low.Pulled the starter again and it was full of oil about 1 inch from the flywheel.Is this normal or do I have a problem starting?

gss036

Commander
Re: 2000 Honda Bf 75 oil leak

I can only say if you are consistantly low on oil in 1 hour and it is showing up around the starter, you have got a problem. Time to have a HONDA mechanic look at it.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Yes you have a problem,most likely with the lower crank seals.There are bulletins out there addresing water intrusion into that cavity from the upper driveshaft seal,that could conceivably cause this and in saltwater you will need to deal with that pronto.

Engineer1

Cadet

Thanks for the info.I have been looking into this and it looks like the flywheel is inside the oil tank.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

No the flywheel is not in the oilpan.What a mess this engine would make if it where.There is however a narrow cavity that surrounds the flywheel and houses the upper shift linkage.That is not considered a gearcase because it is not but it is still sealed and if those seals fail bad things can happen.

Engineer1

Cadet

Thanks again.I just pulled the starter off.the engine showes the right amount of oil on the dipstick but there is oil below the flyeweel.However I noticed when I pulled the timing cover off it has a stamp that showes 1996 and the plug wires have a date the same.I was told that it was a 2000 model when I bought it but I still got it for a cheep price tag.

Engineer1

Cadet

No the flywheel is not in the oilpan.What a mess this engine would make if it where.There is however a narrow cavity that surrounds the flywheel and houses the upper shift linkage.That is not considered a gearcase because it is not but it is still sealed and if those seals fail bad things can happen.
I just took the engine a part and flywheel sits over the oil pan.the seals looked fine I went ahead and changed them any way.The flywheel has a aachment on it that drives the oil pump.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

So what are you asking?