Honda 2hp running problem

steve66

Seaman
Hi hope you guys can help me out with a running problem on a Honda 2 hp i have acquired.It has a bit or a problem starting, and when it does start will only run on choke.When i bought it the carb had leaked petrol into the crankcase and contaminated the oil.I dont know if it had been run like this.I drained the old oil and replaced with fresh to the correct level.I then removed the carburettor and stripped it.To be honest the inside of the carb was spotless but a gave it all a good clean with carb cleaner and blew all jet and passages out with compressed air.I then reassembled the engine put in new clean petrol and the problem was still there with no change.I have adjusted the air jet with no affect and a compression test was showing 90 psi.
Any advise would be greatly recieved
Thanks in anticipation
Steve

steve66

Seaman
Re: Honda 2hp running problem

Hi, I am thinking along the lines of compression problems.Does anyone know if these motors have a decompression device on the cam?Has anyonme encountered any valve,head gasket or compression problems with these motors?
Steve

I'd double check the jets. They are mighty small and might still be clogged.

steve66

Seaman

Finally sorted,Yes it was a blocked jet.To be honest the jet was that tiny i didnt even think it was a jet.To get to it remove the square plate on top of the carb and you will see a black plastic plug.Ease the plug out and the bottom internal part of the plug has a tiny hole (jet),thats the offending jet that was blocked.Thanks to everyone who has offered me advice to solve the problem.
Steve