power trim switch on Nissan 30?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Just went and got a look at my new 09', 30hp Nissan, tiller, with power tilt and trim option. It has a switch on the lower cowling to control it but nothing in front, on tiller or remote. I'm trying to figure out how you are supposed to trim the motor while underway (without hanging over the transom :) . Does it require a seperate remote switch be mounted somewhere? IS it a Nissan accessory/ vs standard equipment? Is the wrong tiller mounted? Even the dealer wasn't sure ( but is looking into it.).

pvanv

Admiral
Re: power trim switch on Nissan 30?

So is it tiller or remote?

If it's an EP model, it has a remote; If an EF, it's a tiller. If you have the correct RC box for an EP, it has a rocker switch on the throttle handle.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

It's a tiller. Not sure on the exact model but it was ordered as a tiller w electric start, + power trim and tilt. The tiller looks like any other tiller . I kind of thought the PT&T switch might have been on the tiller or motor front? Did they rig the motor wrong?

pvanv

Admiral

On an EF model (electric/tiller), the only PTT switch is indeed on the side, not on the tiller.

If you want a remote PTT setup (PTT only -- not a full RC box), it is easily done, but since each boat is different, you would supply your own instrument panel rocker switch (located wherever you prefer it) and wire it to the back of the boat -- and tie into the PTT harness, just as an RC installation would. Of course, you could possibly relocate the cowl-mounted switch up forward, if you never want PTT back at the motor.

So your dealer didn't do anything wrong...

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again PVANV, I've been figuring that's what we'll do. Still, I find it hard to beleive that anybody would market a motor where the only trim adjustment is way to the rear of the motor??
Seems like somebody is (just a mater of time) going to get hurt / killed reaching way back over the transom for the trim switch while their boat is doing 30! You would think they would supply/offer a $30 remote pendant switch just to keep the lawers happy.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I mentioned this to a Japanese engineer at the Miami Boat Show and recieved a blank stare in return....Later I was told that there was going to be a change on the trim switch location at some point. That probably means an additional switch on the tiller arm.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Elvin, i'm an engineer myself, which makes it all the harder to understand on how a obvious design /packaging defect could go on for so many years.

EMM

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 25 horse with pt&t. The dealer that I bought my boat from put a simple trim switch on the rear bench seat where I can reach it with my right hand while I am driving with my left. The wire is run up under the cowl and spliced into the existing pt&t harness. It works well as I can use it without looking for it.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again, the dealer is wireing in a remote (quicksilver) rocker switch now. Still scratching my head on why NISSAn has ignored this flaw though.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's not a flaw or defect.......It's a feature or in this case it's the lack of a feature.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Not to argue Elvin but as an engineer with 23 yrs experience with design, build and fielding of defense systems, I'd classify this as a design flaw that effects safe use of the product as intended. I'll bet if I fell of the back of the boat @ 30K while trying to adjust it, my widow would easily get 12 people to agree.
That said, I understand and respect your profesional opinion and do appreciate your input.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As a retard with absolutely no experience designing anything, I bow to your superior degree in engineering:) I understand why you think it is a defect, but lack of a feature does not a design flaw make. IE Car A has power windows, car B has manual windows. Car B does not have a design flaw because it does not have power windows. Do I think that a trim switch should be on the tiller handle where there is easier access? Yes. I just don't think that lack of a switch there rises to the level of the word "defect". But, I could be wrong. I was wrong about something else back in 07 so you might be right:)

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Do you think there was some engineer out there that thought to himself, "there's no need to use a trim/tilt inside the boat"... "instead, I think I'll mount the fuel tank in the bow..."

I think we could all agree that it is a poor design- It is not defective because it operates the way it was designed to work....it was just designed poorly.

Please pass on my name to your wife- have her give me a call if you happen to fall out of the boat at 30 mph...