20 hp honda outboard 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey nuts

Recruit
hi all.
need some help with my honda i recently bought. its a 20 hp 4 stroke bf. it hadnt been used in about a year. when i bought it i started it and it turned over and idled fine. but once out on the water when ever i gave it a bit of gas it nearly stalls all the time. i got the motor serviced and got the carbi cleaned, also changed the fuel and made sure there were no air leaks in the fuel lines but the problem still persists. could it be the fuel pump or is it possibly something else?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 20 hp honda outboard 4 stroke

Could be a lot of things, but sounds like lack of fuel enrichment during acceleration. I would get a Factory service manual, and take things one at a time. You will need to know whether the compression is up to snuff, and whether you are getting good fuel delivery and spark. The manual should help you.

iang

Seaman Apprentice

Your motor has an accelerator pump,the plunger has more than likely siezed.Take off the air intake and look down the venturi whilst pumping the throttle and you should see a fine jet of fuel being sprayed towards the butterfly valve.If not,the plunger is located in the fuel bowl,try and soak in power tune or sea foam to loosen it.

i have the same problem..it runs fine wide open ..and it idles.. as soon as i punch it.. it stalls .. would that be a pump problem as well ?

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, your problem is probably related to the accelerator pump, which has nothing to do with the fuel pump.
It can also be an obstruction in the primary ports(circuit in the carb responsible for low speed gas).
Either way, if you want to check it yourself, I suggest buying Honda's Carburetor Manual, which is great. It is sold by Helm Inc.

Good luck,

Henrique

sdanville

Cadet

so monkey. What was the problem ?
My guess is spark plugs.

davyd

Recruit
I recently got a Honda 20 hp 4 stroke outboard that has some issues, one is it has problem starting then when it eventually starts and runs for short while it shuts off.what do you think is causing this problem?

AndyF1900

Recruit
Honda 20 hp, What does it mean when the green light comes on when I start the engine and stays on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Honda 20 hp, What does it mean when the green light comes on when I start the engine and stays on?

Is it too much to ask not to post in old threads? And when you do, could you at least choose a topic related to the question you're going to ask? What does your oil light have to do with a fuel problem?

RTFR - Last R means RULES!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.