90 Honda isnt getting fuel

tim in nc

Cadet
My 90 hp, 4 stroke honda quit working about a month back. I have already worn 2 batteries trying! I changed the fuel filter (primed it), now with two new batteries if I throttle it a few times (10) it will start for about 3 seconds then quit. I am thinking the choke may be stuck but when I do the choke, the battery indicator moves and goes back up, telling me it is turning itself off?
I removed the fuel line from the motor and primed it and fuel is going in so I dont know where it is stopping. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90 Honda isnt getting fuel

Start simple first check your kill switch before you tear apart the fuel system.

If it indeed is a fuel problem we'll help you figure it out. Just check the kill switch first (1, that the clip is installed and 2, that the switch is vurking properly)

Vhat year is your motor?

tim in nc

Cadet

The problem is in the choke. The level will not move up and down, Frozen I think. Thequestion now is how do I get to the carbs to look. I see two bolt but it will not come off.nor can I get the choke lever off to try and lube/force the choke open?

tim in nc

Cadet

Is it worth buying th emanual for this? All the plastic parts (cowl, choke lever) I dont want to break them but they need to come off, i think.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

The problem is in the choke. The level will not move up and down, Frozen I think. Thequestion now is how do I get to the carbs to look. I see two bolt but it will not come off.nor can I get the choke lever off to try and lube/force the choke open?

When starting, you want the choke in the closed position...is it closed or open?

Also, the butterfly will likely not open unless the motor is in gear to prevent over revving the motor without a load. And obviously, you cannot start the motor in gear.

Is the carb bowl filling with fuel? If not, the float may be stuck. There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the bowl. Unscrew it and see if fuel comes out.

Are you getting spark? Before pulling off the carbs, check to see that you have spark as well as compression. Do a compression test if you're getting a good strong blue spark. Get a spark tester to properly ground it to prevent shorting out your ignition. Your throttle should be wide open and all spark plugs removed to do a compression test.

Three things are need for the engine to start: fuel, spark & compression. It's gotta be one of these three! Which is it?

MAS

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Is it worth buying th emanual for this? All the plastic parts (cowl, choke lever) I dont want to break them but they need to come off, i think.

And yes, for God's sake, buy a manual before you start disassembling things. Get the OEM manual. Do not waste your time with seloc/clitton etc.

MAS

tim in nc

Cadet

I now believe the choke is stuck, there is fuel from the tank, to the choke bowl but; when I look at the arm that opens/closes the choke the top 3 try to move but the bottom wone will not. I am guessing this one is stuck. Being a plastic arm I dont want to put too much pressure on it. NOw th eproblem; I can pull 3 bolts out of the cover to try and inspect but see a 4th way back beyond what a ratchet can reach. IS there another way to unstick this lever, or is the bottom one not supposed to move? ALso the piston at the little box that is supposed tyo move this rod was stuck, a little pressure got it working but still, the bottom carb seems blocked.

tim in nc

Cadet

I went ahead and ordered the manual, hoping this helps. Like most folks,if I can fix it rather than pay a mech. way better for my budget!

tim in nc

Cadet

Here is what I see

Attachments

• choke 1.jpg
    choke 1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0

JUSTINTIME

Captain

better get a shop manual before you break things
that plastic rod pops off

iang

Seaman Apprentice

The reason the bottom carb choke spindle is suck is because it has got water in there through a fault in the air intake design.Honda brought out a kit to remedy this this fault at their cost,try a dealer and see if it is still available free of charge.Unfortunately there is a good chance you will not be able to repair no 4 carb choke and may have to replace the whole carb.Carb removal is very simple,disconnect the choke mechanism and throttle cables ,then remove the intake manifold bolts and pull the carbs and air box off as one unit,from there you should be able to figure out how to dismantle the carbs from the air box.You will need to get an intake manifold gasket and air intake gasket to complete the job.

tim in nc

Cadet

This is starting to sound like an expensive repair. I will try it once ht emanual comes in. ORdered it on Saturday. More to follow.

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, as stated, you have to pull the manifold to get the carbs off. Not that hard at all, you just need to be organized!! I don't remember what it is called but the skinny tube that runs from the bowl to the top of the carb (idle fuel tube?) also has a tendancy to develop hairline cracks. Might as well replace them while you have the carbs apart. Find someone with a ultrasonic cleaner and "cook" your carbs for a thorough cleaning. By cleaning, you might be able to get away without replacing. If you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures of the Dash Pot and the associated hose routing. Be organized, and thorough and it'll be easy. Honda carbs are about as simple as it gets. Oh yeah, you will probably need to re-synchronize when you are done. Good Luck