Convert tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke ultra long shaft to short

dliguori25

Recruit
hello
I have an 06 tohatsu 9.8 four stroke ultra long shaft that I want to move from a sailboat to my zodiac. I've seen plenty of posts about converting to a longer shaft but can't find info on going the other direction. Can I conver an ultra long to a short? If so what has to be replaced and what parts are simply removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a hard time locating an answer.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Convert tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke ultra long shaft to short

It is possible. Is it economical? Well, you have to decide whether you want to do the configuration change, or if you prefer to buy/sell/trade for the motor you want.

Years ago, the motors were all 15" (short), and one either used a 5" spacer housing to get the 20" length (in addition to driveshaft (and guide bushing on some models), water pump tube, and shift rod) or not. Today, there are different exhaust housings, both 15" and 20". Then the 25" UL uses a spacer housing.

The UL (25") configuration starts life as a 20" (long) unit, and then has the 5" spacer housing added. So, to convert down to 15", you would need a new housing, a driveshaft, shift rod, and a water tube. These are available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer. You would then have your old driveshaft, housing, spacer, shift rod, and water tube left over.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What Paul said and I would add the following. The parts come to over $600.00 and require you to take the engine completely apart. Figure a shop charging you at least four hours labor.

gss036

Commander

I think you would be better off selling the motor to someone who needs the extra long and buying what you need. There is a market out there for the xlong shaft for kicker motors. You will definately be more satisfied in the end.
I just purchased a Yamaha hight thrust which has 25 inch solid leg so the new extra long shafts are not made that way w/an extension, my old 1997 Honda also have a solid leg w/o an extension and before than I had a Johnson 2stroke Sailmaster that was solid w/o the extension,but years ago that was the only way to get the extra length, my 1989 Merc 200 hp had the extension on it, as PVANV said.

dliguori25

Recruit

Thank you so much for the answers guys! That's a huge help! I thought that going from long to short would be cheaper but it sounds like my best bet is to just sell the thing and buy the appropriate motor. I'm not competant enough to tear the motor down and I don't want to pay dealer labor costs. Thanks again for helping me make the decision!

Ray Fish

Recruit

hello
I have an 06 tohatsu 9.8 four stroke ultra long shaft that I want to move from a sailboat to my zodiac. I've seen plenty of posts about converting to a longer shaft but can't find info on going the other direction. Can I conver an ultra long to a short? If so what has to be replaced and what parts are simply removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a hard time locating an answer.
have Tohatsu (2009) 8HP 20"shaft...I'll swap