Honda 40 hp 4 stroke,2003 year model water pump replacement

Frank Boucher

Recruit
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum,just joined today,and I have a question?My friend recently aquired a 2003 Honda 4 stroke 40 HP,he wants to replace the water pump before using this unit because he bought it at a farm sale and has no idea of previous maintenance history.He is very mechanical.There are no dealers in the area.He has no computer and wanted me to see if I could locate the best place to order the pump and possibly a diagram or specifications on replacement.Thanks for your help.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 40 hp 4 stroke,2003 year model water pump replacement

hi
check honda's web site for a download of hte owners manual. it may have water pump instructions. if not the library may have a repair manual. i changed mine on my 30hp and it was very straight forward. not really any different than any other outboard. mark your shift rod adjustment or count the number of turns to disconnect to speed reassembly and adjustment. the only other thing was that for the size of the motor the lower unit was very heavy. two people would have made the job a lot easier. or maybe i just need to be stronger. i bought the whole water pump kit rather than just the impeller because i'm kind of a if you have it apart replace everything type. but i thionk i could have gotten by with just the impeller and new seals.

Frank Boucher

Recruit
Re: Honda 40 hp 4 stroke,2003 year model water pump replacement

Thanks for the information,I had tried Honda's website earlier,but could'nt find what I was looking for,or possibly could'nt navigate the site.Then found this forum while searching.If pretty straight forward,I don't expect any problems.If someone has a link to Honda's site info,that would be great.Thanks again.