1997 Honda 50hp BF50A Water pump issue???

miker4497

Recruit
My motor has a terrible time with the water circulation. Everytime I use it the water output always stops. I can run a piece of wire down the output tube and it will get a little better but it always stops again. It never seems to have a steady output stream coming out and always seems to just trickle out at best. Should I replace the water pump?? Get a water pump repair kit?? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I don't have a repair manual yet. Is this a big job?? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated....:confused::confused:

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Honda 50hp BF50A Water pump issue???

have you pulled the hose and pee hole end off and cleaned them throughly? when you had them off did you fire up the motor (in water or on muffs of course)? water should shoot about 10 ft coming directly out of the block from where the pee hole hose connects on. i had a similar problem with my 30hp and changed the water pump. it made no differance. the problem was just an accumulation of dirt in the pee hole hose and fitting.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You now have a unit that is over ten years old and that gearcase needs to come down for exactly that reason.If that water pump has not been done in all that time you are well overdue.Hopefully you are not operateing in salt or you could be looking at some stuck bolts as well.

pelski

Recruit

I also have had water pump issues with my 50 hp Honda. Always could remedy by cleaning with a piece of flexible wire. Just put my boat in today and couldn't fix it with wire this time. Took my portable air compressor and blew out the complete line. Works like a charm now.

Flakeys

Seaman

I had a similar problem with a 40 hp that I worked on for a friend and found the thermostat was pretty solidly frozen. This engine was run in salt water which contributed to much of the problem. After replacing it and cleaning out the thermostat area good, it returned the water flow to like new.

Piratejason

Recruit
Me too - my fix

Me too - my fix

Similar issues with a BF45A. Mine was totally stopped up.

Ended up pulling the thermostat and pouring some diluted CLR in. Let it set - replaced thermostat housing and started up on the muffs. Pumped well for a while until the scale stopped it up. Used compressed air to start flow back up. The CLR got the inside very clean. Previous owner must have never flushed after use.

Good Luck!
PJ