5 HP Tohatsu manual tilt very stiff

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1998 Tohatsu 5 HP.

The tilt has gotten progressively stiffer over the years and it really needs to get fixed or I'll break my already-screwed-up back trying to pull on the thing (or cracj the transom of my tender). There appears to be no adjustment - just a long bolt through the pivot where the mounting bracket joins the rest of the motor. Loosening the nut at the end of the bolt doesn't do anything (and risks working itself off - it is not a locknut). Curiously, there is a grease fitting and a pressure adjusting wingnut to deal with the steering rotation force, but nothing at all similar to deal with the tilt.

My best guess is to remove the nut and try to punch the long bolt out, clean it and regrease it, but after 10 years in saltwater I don't have a lot of confidence it will come out.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5 HP Tohatsu manual tilt very stiff

I had a 5 hp Nissan that was too loose in the same joint. I tightened that nut a hair and it got me where I wanted to go.
FWIW, I'd also try what you propose but wouldn't start putting heat or hammer to it if she's frozen though. Try some PB blaster in there too. That stuff really works it's way into tight spots.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 5 HP Tohatsu manual tilt very stiff

I agree with both previous posts. In freshwater, the usual problem is that the bolt/nut works loose. Yours probably has salt corrosion that could be cleaned and greased. Should be a Nylock nut for best results.