Honda BF 225 2005 water pump

Roughrider4

Cadet
Would like to replace the water pump and impellar for the 2009 season.Never have done this before. Just bought the shop manual. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Honda BF 225 2005 water pump

put the motor in gear before dropping lower unit

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Put a needle nose vise grip on the shift shaft under the powerhead to keep it from continually falling out.Do'nt forget to take them out.Last count,I 'mm into the Snap On man 85 bucks on that bonehead.

Roughrider4

Cadet

Thanks Guys, Still waiting on the manual so I can read and ask further questions. Specific to changing the impellar. Is changing the PUMP a must or just change out the impellar? Have aprox. 300 hrs on motor. Thanks for your reply.

gss036

Commander

It depends on what the housing looks like. Most of the time you can get away with just the impeller. You never did say why you are wanting to change the impeller, are you having water flow problem or just maintence?
I think you will need a second set of hands to make it much easier.

Roughrider4

Cadet

GSS036, I am doing maintence on the 2005 Motor. Never changed the impellar since it was new. Have good flow of water but I think maybe it could be time to change to avoid any mid season problems.I am not aware of how long they last : 2-3 years. Thanks.

gss036

Commander

My Honda 15HP went 10 years on the factory impeller and ym old Mercury 200 went about the same. Once you change, it seem like they only last 2-3 years. I would not think the factory installs are that much better but sure seems like it. I am on my 1st year w/my new 225 Honda and on the 2nd year w/a replacement on the last impeller on the 15 HP.

Roughrider4

Cadet

Yes, this 2009 year will be the fifth year with the factory impeller,so I just think a replacement is in oreder so as to avoid any mid season downtime.There are 285 hours on the motor and i have had it since new, up here in the NorthEast.

Merv49

Recruit

I just purchased a 2003 BF 225 and want to know how often it is necessary to replace the water pump or impeller and how difficult is it to do yourself. The neareset Honda service is about 100 miles from me so I'm motivated to do the repair myself but haven't found a definative answer on how ofthen this repair should be done. I called that service center and they told me it should be done every year but I find that hard to believe. Any input will be appreciated.

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
Dont panic i have outboards bf225 run 2200 hrs without replacement and good telltale. it only needs to be replaced if the water pressure is too less.
Still if you want to replace the impellers you can replace it for your confidence.
Procedure is
1. Put the controls in neutral position
2. 14 mm ringspanner loosen 6 bolts and the trim tabb with 14mm socket wrench
3. 19mm socket wrench loosen the 19 mm nut under the trim tab
4. pull out the gear case if old engine it might need a slight tapping with a soft nylon malett
5. Remove the 12mm four bolts of the impeller housing
6. pullout the housing slowly so that the key doesnt fall in the pump.
7. The shifter shaft may fall off while pulling out the gear box dont panic
8. while fixing it back watch the flat in the splines of the shifter shaft to match with the gearbox end
9. the most important is match the shiftshaft properly and slide the gearbox to the top by hand and not by tightening the 14 mm bolts otherwise you will end up with leaking undercase and tight gear shift.

regards
ganesh

helifrancis

Recruit

Hi guys;
Thanks to all. I just changed my Impeller on my 2002 BF 225 and with the items you and others have pointed out made the replacement a snap.This is the first replacement since I bought the new motor in 2003 from the dealer.