Honda Lower Unit Seals

JOSHS

Cadet
I Found Water In My 90 Hondas Lower Unit. The Mechanic Said To Fix Would Cost Over 300.00 And You Need A Special Tool. He Also Said He Did Not Know How Many Seals Where In It. I Am Some What Mechanicaly Incline And Thinking Of Doing It Myself. Is There A Blue Print On The Parts That I Can Look At To See What Is All Involved. The Model # Is Bbbl-1008686 Thanks For Your Help.

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda Lower Unit Seals

From my prospective as an owner of 2 Honda engines, it is something that I would leave to the experienced mechanic. Before changing the seals, he should do a pressure test to see just what and where it is allowing water intrusion.

paulrapp

Recruit

I need to check by lower unit seals also (Honda 50 HP). What is the pressure/vacuum (lbs) that it should be tested at?

paulrapp

Recruit

I need to check by lower unit seals also (Honda 50 HP). What is the pressure/vacuum (lbs) that it should be tested at?

OBMD

Seaman Apprentice

Here is what Honda says at their service school..."Use a hand pump to pressurize the case to about 6 psi, wait to about 30 seconds, then pressurize to 10-12 psi. Watch the gauge for five minutes while you move the shift rod and rotate the input & prop shafts. The unit should hold pressure. Isolate any leaks by immersing the pressurized gearcase in water and watch for bubbles."
Honda does not have a vacuum test spec as the seals usually face out and you can pull lots of vacuum. Seals face toward what you want to keep in or out. Honda in mainly concerned with keeping water out.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

usually 10psi
then i put it in water to watch bubbles