Honda water in gas poor performance

NirrtGritty

Recruit
About three months ago we had tremendous rains here in Florida and I seemed to have gotten water in my external gas tank for my BF 25. I noticed this after installing a separator. I drained the tank and all the lines and have run fresh gas through the engine including changing the plugs, oil, oil-filter etc. Now, the engine runs poorly and stalls. Almost as if its running on the top and bottom cylinder and not teh central cylinder. When I take the plugs out the top and bottom are dry and very hot, while the central plug looks "wet"and not that hot.. but the wetness does smell like gasoline.

1: Often stalls at start.. stalls when you engage the prop or when the engine is in the water. Runs rough after a few cranks at idle and I can hit the gas, when flushing, and it seems like its got good power except when you drop it back to idle it bounces around a bit.

2. Perhaps I'm hypersensitive now, but it looks like more whitish smoke is coming out of the hub than I remember when being flushed. Please help. Thanks

mthieme

Captain
Re: Honda water in gas poor performance

Sounds like you've taken care of the water in the fuel issue.
Is the center plug clean?
If you pull the plug wire on the center cylinder, stick a screwdriver in the boot and place the screwdriver shaft 1/8"-1/4" away from the plug - do you see a blue arc when cranking/running?

NirrtGritty

Recruit

I'll try that.. but I do know the spark plug cable shocks the bjeezus outta me if its not on the plug and I'm holding it near the opening of teh cable.. I've also put new plugs in and same deal with the wetness.. I''l be checkign the compression with a compression guage this week.. anyone know the general compression psi for a 2001 BF25...? Thanks for the help

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

honda manual says 212 +- 14 psi

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

To achieve an authentic compression test ,you will need to cheat the nuetral safety switch so that you are accomplishing that test at wide open throttle.That means you will either need to short the switch,or disconnect the throttle linkage and have a buddie,wife, kid ,father in law,whoever,to hold that thing at wide open while you crank away.Guages do vary but if all cylinders are even you should be good.Regular maintenance comes into question here as well.When is the last time those valves were adjusted?Did you purge that fuel delivery after you discovered the contamination?