Problem reinstalling gear case on Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke

captwill

Recruit
I have a 2001 Tohatsu longshaft 4hp 4 strk and can't get the gear case back up into the lower unit. It goes up most of the way, then the top of the drive shaft bumps into the shift lever linkage on top. I can feel it hit the lever assembly with a click. Any advice will be appreciated. The gear case came off easily. I am keeping the shift/cam rod joint/clamp bolt loose.
Bill

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Problem reinstalling gear case on Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke

A parts or service manual will go a long way here. The 4, 5, and 6 are the same family, so the manual for any of these will help you. Things will need to line up. The sequence is:

1- shift rod through coupler,
2- driveshaft into bottom guide tube of powerhead,
3- shift rod through grommet,
4- drive shaft into crankshaft splines,
5- water tube into the pump.

A little patience is needed, especially the first time. It's usually easiest to get everything to align if the motor is upright, or slightly tilted (like for shallow water), but not on its side. On some models (long), there is a guide plate a few inches up the leg. If you have that plate, the driveshaft has to go through it before the lower unit is raised any further, so that would be "step 0". If you miss the guide plate, the driveshaft can't align to the powerhead.

The top section of the lower shift rod is offset to the front of the motor, and will need to go through the grommet at the top of the leg. This is the trigger that prevents tilting when in reverse. It's probably not aligned, and is probably the sound you hear with a clink. Either that, or the driveshaft missed the guide plate.

After you have the LU back on, you will need to adjust the shifter:
1- Set the shift lever in reverse.
2- make sure the rod coupler is all the way down to the bottom.
3- push down on the exposed end of the shift rod where it engages the reverse tilt lock, shifting the LU into reverse.
4- tighten the rod coupler.

Don't forget to reinstall the grommet "plug" in the leg, otherwise exhaust will bubble out there.

HTH.