Honda 4 stroke 30 hp 98 or so PLEASE HELP!!!!

Bryce82

Recruit
Heres the deal. My friend recently bought this boat from another friend that left it for dead on his grandmas land outside for 2 years!!! Didn't winterize it nothing!!! Yes I know he's a idiot but lets see who can HELP!!! He had an oil change done, new plugs, gas line, gas, battery, cleaned a few lines that where clogged maybe a few other small fixtures but i'm not exactly sure!!! We took it out yesterday and the engine won't start with out the choke on all day and will not IDLE at all!!! Also the boat boggs down the whole time we are driving it, you can here it sounds like crap!! Sometimes it seems to kick out of it but not for long and its back to bogging!!! It almost never seems to be full speed either!! CAN ANYONE HELP??? Thanks ALOT!!!!

Re: Honda 4 stroke 30 hp 98 or so PLEASE HELP!!!!

Wild guess here. The carb(s) are gumbied. Take it (them) off, disassemble what readily comes apart and clean the crud out.

Here's my story:

I have a two horse Honda that eventually would not run unless the choke was on.

I tore the carb apart and found some cruddy looking stuff here and there. I used a can of starting fluid to spray out all of the tiny jet holes.

I kinda expected an inoperable motor, as I was almost convinced that some little spring or fitting would go flying. As it turned out, cleaning the crud out was just what the doctor ordered.

The motor is once again running like a champ.

Also, never let the gas get old. After you use the engine put the left over gasoline in your road vehicle's gas tank. If you put the engine away for any length of time drain the carb(s).

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

In all likelyhood you will find disfuctional carbs,but let's isolate it down to that.What are the compression numbers?A sticky or tight valve will give you the same symptoms.You should see around 200 psi ,but that can vary with the guage you are useing.This test needs to be accomplished at wide open so you will need to cheat the neutral safety switch some way or have the wife,kids,buddie,mother in law ,or whoever[I discourage the first and last reccomendations],remove the thottle arm and hold it there while you crank away.If those numbers are substantially uneven,we have other issues to deal with.

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

I also had this once. I found some crud was in a hole/pipe of the carb. Just take it apart and clean it up, it should run better! :)

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go to boats.net and you can pull up parts diagrams...go to the carb picture and find the long tube in the center of carb...that's called an emulsion tube and those are very prone to cracking...could cause similar syptoms :cool: