9.8 2008 Nissan/Tohatsu off-idle howl/screech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 9.8 2008 Nissan/Tohatsu off-idle howl/screech?

I know lot's of people who wish they had bought something other than a Yamaha....I sell them outboards every day:) I guess what I was trying to get across to you is that the noise level of an outboard is the least important factor in ownership. Realibality, cost of the engine, availability of service outlets, cost of parts, etc would normally be much more important...Hence the reason that Yamaha small outboard's are not as popular as the Tohatsu, Nissan, Evinrude and Mercury models in the U.S. That doesn't mean that I think you are a moron or are being picky. It's not a bad noise...Just a different sound quality that the equally loud, by decibel level, Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha are subject to. If you think it's annoying enough to go to another engine brand then you should do so.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 9.8 2008 Nissan/Tohatsu off-idle howl/screech?

Agreed. There aren't any bad outboard brands today -- they are all decent. The reason that the Tohatsu 9.8 is so popular is self-evident: best-in-class weight, great efficiency, superb reliability, and, in the US, best price -- both for the motor, and for service/parts. The Yamaha 9.9 weighs in at almost 50% more (Honda is even heavier), which can be an issue for some applications. When you add in the service/parts availability (from any Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury, or Evinrude dealer), for most US folks, the Tohatsu is the best choice.

Many people like their motors (of any brand), and some have issues with a specific brand/model. It's a personal preference thing. I have customers who will only want a Honda, or only an Evinrude, or only a Yamaha, and all for their own reasons. Each motor lineup has its own subtle characteristics. For the vast majority of my customers, the Tohatsu's benefits outweigh the others.

On my personal boat, I have had crew ask when I was going to start the motor, since the wind was waning, and we were approaching the harbor... my usual response is to throttle up a little, so that they can hear the Tohatsu 9.8 running... in other words, it was already running, but was so quiet that no one knew. Because of that low mechanical sound level of the Tohatsu 9.8, the intake whine at 2200 or so can sometimes be heard above the other sounds of the motor. For us, it's not really an issue; For others, it would be. Personal preference again.

toypro1

Recruit
Is the 9.8/8 hp Nissan/Tohatsu the only size that has the off-idle howl/screech - I am looking to buy something in the 20-25 hp range and would like it to be very quiet.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Dan

Snibbe

Recruit
This is from a youtube comment

I had the same issue . The problem is the drive shaft bushing at the top of the shaft. you can spray the shaft with lube but the best thing is to drop the lower unit and apply some water proof grease to the shaft near the top where the spline is.

Status
Not open for further replies.