Tohatsu Water Pump Location?

Ryan Maker

Recruit
I have a Tohatsu 25hp 1998 M25c3, it seems to be having intermitant water issues. Sometimes water flows out just fine then other times it doesnt flow at all. To the best of my knowledge the water pump has never been replaced. I am thinking the impellar may be not 100%.

Question 1: Where is the water pump?

Question 2: I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on an outboard motor, is this someting I can do myself?

Thanks in advance for any help!

atm_73

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu Water Pump Location?

The water pump is located on the lower unit, and is driven by the main drive shaft. You will have to pull out the bolts that hold it on (as well as any linkage that may connect them), and the lower unit will drop rite off (hopefully). After that, you will see the pump. You will have to remove the screws or bolts holding it down, remove the cover, and you will see the impeller. I've never changed a tohatsu/nissan, but have done many johnsons and mercs, but I'm sure they are all about the same. Good luck.

Ryan Maker

Recruit

Ok Thanks, Sounds pretty straight forward. About these Linkages, is there any thing I have to worry about falling out or gears that need to be lined up?

Thanks,

Ryan Maker

Recruit

Got it! The impellar didnt look bad at first, but then I noticed one of the blades is cracked near the hub, could this be the cause of the intermitant water flow?

atm_73

Cadet

I wouldn't think that a small crack would keep it from pumping, BUT, I can't see it either! I would definitely go ahead and change the impeller while you've got it apart, and try it, and see. If still not working, come back for answers!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Do not change out the impeller by itself. You have already done the labor so you should put in a complete kit which contains a new wear plate and housing liner.

Ryan Maker

Recruit

Thanks Guru, I ordered the kit and it came in today, I do have one other question now. Since I pulled the impeller out of the cap, how do I know which way the blades should bend when I put it back together, which way will it spin?

Thanks for the help.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It doesn't matter. The drive shaft will spin and auto correct the direction of the impeller.

hello all..ok this is where I start looking stupid :) I am new to having a boat I know about boats and all but I can not figure out where the water return is supposed to come out of the engine on a tohatsu 40hp I just bought the boat and motor from a good friend but he has passed away and I am not sure if something is wrong with the pump or what. I have not taken it out in the water yet due to this thank you

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Through the propeller, the hole on the drive shaft housing and the pee indicator.

ok that is what me and my neighbor was thinking but we weren't for sure if that was it or not...thanks for the info

sorry to bug you again guru..I feel like a dummy asking stupid stuff....but what is the best way to flush the motor and see if water will come out of the pee indicator at top back of motor? should I use the muffs or is there a easier way...I've seen people place the prop in a large can full of water also

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The only way to accurately check the cooling system on your engine is by taking the boat to a ramp and launching it. Running it on a hose is fine, but will not necessarily show a problem. A tub is a bad idea unless you have a few hundred gallons of water in it....Since the exhaust exits near the water pick up, you would risk piking up the exhaust, rather than the water, in a drum, on that size engine.

ok..that makes sense...wasn't thinking about that....only thing is now I can't take it anywheres due to my friend that passed away ( the one I got the boat from ) his brother wanted the trailer back so now I have to try and find a trailer or make me one...but I do appreciate all of your help....I am sur you know I will be asking for more info from you...I have read alot of your posts and I think I see more info on here from you than anyone...thanks again

guru I got the pee hole cleared and water is coming out of it fairly good. but when I shut the engine off I notice there was some black oil coming out of the drain hole down near the impeller...is that a major problem or what would be causing that now?...did the other owner mess something up due to pee hole being clogged for so long?.....thanks for your info.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The pee hole indicator is just a visible indicator that the water pump is working....If it is stopped up it will not effect anything. Black oil coming through the prop or out the drain hole is unburned fuel/oil and is harmless.

The pee hole indicator is just a visible indicator that the water pump is working....If it is stopped up it will not effect anything. Black oil coming through the prop or out the drain hole is unburned fuel/oil and is harmless.

oh ok...like I said when I first started posting here..I am new at this owning a boat thing so I dont want to mess nothing up...but thank you againfor everything that you have been helping me with

hey guru, is the impeller for the water pump supposed to be tight or barely touching the wall of the assembly? I took the lower unit off the motor and the impeller is tight hard to turn with a finger....just wanting to make sure it is the right one for this engine, it was in the engine when I got it but the engine was used...please help if you could...thanx

pvanv

Admiral

hey guru, is the impeller for the water pump supposed to be tight or barely touching the wall of the assembly? I took the lower unit off the motor and the impeller is tight hard to turn with a finger....just wanting to make sure it is the right one for this engine, it was in the engine when I got it but the engine was used...please help if you could...thanx

Yes, the impeller fits quite snugly. It is water-lubricated. Some mechanics will lube the new one with dish soap or similar during assembly. This is one reason why you NEVER operate the motor out of water. Even cranking the motor when dry is hard on the impeller. HTH.