Honda BF100 Extremely Hard Starting, Stalls when loaded

yeahoner

Recruit
I have an old (early 80's) BF100. It sat for quite a while before i purchased it. I replaced some corroded electronics and it started second pull (much to my surprise). However the carb was hopeless and an exhaust valve was stuck from bad fuel. replaced carb entirely and had the valves adjusted. Ran great for a few weeks and then started demanding throttle to start. Then started demanding starting fluid and throttle, now it is a miracle if it starts and all (though it sometimes does) the lower cylinder gets flooded right away (after a few pulls). When it does start it dies when i put it in gear unless i really (like way to much) give her juice and even then it still dies half the time. these problems are equal hot or cold. I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump. any suggestions. :confused:

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda BF100 Extremely Hard Starting, Stalls when loaded

I would start with the valve adjusment!!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF100 Extremely Hard Starting, Stalls when loaded

Start with a compression test.If those numbers are dismal or uneven then move to a leakdown test to find the source of the leakage.If that test reveals leaking valves,adjust them again and see if things improve.