Honda BF25 cooling problem

slmullen

Recruit
I had the lower unit off and impeller appears to be ok. When I run the unit in a tank the water doesn't appear to pump up to the engine, but it is pumping water into the casing and the water runs out the 4 drain holes in the front of the lower unit. Could there be a problem with the seal between the top of the pump housing and the pipe that it pumps the water into? If so, is there an easy way to tell if that's the problem? How tight is that connection supposed to be?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF25 cooling problem

Why do you think you have a cooling problem?What did that housing look like when you had that gearcase down?Are you overheating?Give us a little more background and we can and will help you.

slmullen

Recruit

There is no water coming out of the "telltale" on the backside, so I'm pretty certain no water is getting up there or it should be spitting it out.

gss036

Commander

Simplest way to check is to remove the thermostat houseing and run it and see if you have water. Then you know, maybe time for a new stat and you can out the housing if need be.

slmullen

Recruit

Thanks. I'm new to this motor - where is the thermostat on this thing?

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a BF30A that wasn't putting much water out at the tell tale at slow speeds and seemed to pump fine at high speeds. i did the same thing and assumed it was the impeller. changed it - no differance. it was the age old plugged telltale. pull the hose from the tell tale off from the the engine and blow in it so see if it is open or start the engine and see if it pumps water out. beware if the pump is working it will spray water about 15ft(and if properly placed fill your tool box with water). usually it will be something plugging the tell tale right at the nozzle and you can clean it out with a piece of wire.

slmullen

Recruit

Thanks. I'll take a look at that hose too. I see you're from MN so you must not be far way - I'm in St. Cloud.

slmullen

Recruit

Since I don't get water out at low or high speeds - which is more likely, a blocked water line or the thermostat being bad?

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm right down the road from you in maple grove. my motor pumps water as soon as you start it hot or cold so there has to be some kind of bypass around the thermostat to let some water through. so my thought would be stuck open or closed there should be some water coming out. mine needs 1-2 minutes when i start it cold to warm up and stay running to get away from the launch ramp and it is pumping water all that time.

walexa

Seaman Apprentice

but it is pumping water into the casing and the water runs out the 4 drain holes in the front of the lower unit. Could there be a problem with the seal between the top of the pump housing and the pipe that it pumps the water into? If so, is there an easy way to tell if that's the problem? How tight is that connection supposed to be?

From what you have described I believe you don't have one of the ends of the metal pipe seated correctly.........one seats into the water pump housing and the other end seats into the head.

Waylan

DGR321

Recruit

Did you find a solution? I've got a similar problem on a BF25 with no flow out of the pee hole. I changed out the thermostat and the impeller with no change in the coolant flow. I got some later input that the coolant outlet flow is independant of the thermostat so that shouldn't impact the outlet pee flow. It has been suggested to try an air compresser in the outlet tube - that's next.

Thanks,

Doug

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you find a solution? I've got a similar problem on a BF25 with no flow out of the pee hole. I changed out the thermostat and the impeller with no change in the coolant flow. I got some later input that the coolant outlet flow is independant of the thermostat so that shouldn't impact the outlet pee flow. It has been suggested to try an air compresser in the outlet tube - that's next.

Thanks,

Doug

hi
mine turned out to be sand clogging the pee tube. i had to remove it and clean it out with a wire.