Loose steering - tohatsu 6 hp

barnyardie1

Recruit
I have a 2 year old tohatsu 6 hp long shaft on my 25' sailboat - it's been used heavily in salt water and so far it's been very reliable.

The only issue is the steering is very loose and the torque control knob on the back doesn't seem to do anything. It gets thrown "out-of-straight" much too easily from wakes, swells, etc. I've cleaned out the control knob several times, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any fixes for this (short of rigging bracing straps to the outboard bracket)? Thanks.

cC

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Loose steering - tohatsu 6 hp

Replace the friction piece on the drive shaft housing. Yours has worn out.

barnyardie1

Recruit

Thanks, Guru!

Is that relatively simple, or do you think it should be done by an expert (at the shop)?

Thanks again!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's just a couple of bolts holding that section together. You can download a free parts book from our website to get an idea of whats involved.

Detail nut

Cadet

Tohatsu guru: what website are you referring to for a free parts book?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You can download one from internetoutboards.com I no longer own that website....But, it is as functional as ever.

pvanv

Admiral

This happens all the time, when someone thinks they can use the steering friction as a steering lock. It was not designed as that, and if it is overtightened, it will get damaged.