Honda 200HP 2004 - Hole in Block !!

kentinglis

Recruit
Hi, I have a 2004 Honda 200HP outboard that has been used in a commercial application, and has approximately 2500 hours on it.
I appreciate that this is getting up in hours, however it has been regularly serviced by the dealer.
We noticed some problems recently, and took it to be looked at and for a service, it has a corrosion hole right through the block !!
I've searched the net high and low to see if this is an issue with these engines, but can't see another case of this anywhere... about $7-$8k for a new block and rebuild, and can't weld this one as there is further pitting that is likely to be an issue... any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, anybody heard of this ?...
High hours, but good service history and she's not that old ?!
Also told that the exhaust anodes were gone...
Many thanks for any insights...

Last edited:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 200HP 2004 - Hole in Block !!

I have not seen this as a general issue but those internal anodes are usually overlooked in regular maintenance.Depending on the waterway and conditions that oversight has the potential for the damage you describe.A hot marina,warm salty water ,an engine running on the hot side of the scale,all can contribute to those anodes going away or ceasing to function after a remarkably short time.How often do you find it nessesary to replace the external anodes?

kentinglis

Recruit

Hi, thanks for the feedback...
Hot marina - Yes
Warm Salty Water - Yes
Hot Running - Yes

Nothing untoward with the external anodes, didn't sound like the mechanic had checked the internal anodes until this arose !
Looks like she's a writeoff, may as well have purchased a two stroke ! My 70HP Johnson on my 5m alloy is about 10-12 years old and has more hours than this... still going strong !

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

There may be some hope for you.Since you are a commercial user and have clocked that amount of hours on this unit Honda might be persuaded into a buy back so that their engineers can see how the product holds up.It is a long shot but depending on where you are,your dealers relationship with the district service manager[DSM],and that DSM's mood,it can and has happened.So where are you?I might be able to help a little myself.

kentinglis

Recruit

Many thanks for your suggestion... I'm in New Zealand, so a bit far from you !, thanks anyway.
I'll certainly give that a shot, in the last 5-6 years many commercial operators in our area have moved to these engines... they all run under essentially the same environment, though mine only runs 2-3 hours per day (it's used on a Salmon Farm, mostly a transport vessel); many others here run water taxi's in a popular coastal national park... they run over spring, summer, fall, and probably run 608 hours a day, so might be turning over quicker ?.
Thanks again, and I'll check out with the dealer and Honda Rep.
Cheers, Kent

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Cheers as well.Let me know how this works out.Good luck,Donnie.

cebu97

Cadet

Your Year and Model Honda have known corrosion issues. Your motor probably falls within Service Bulliten 56........did you have your exhausts changed?
Is your motors exhaust 6 inches or greater above the water line?

pvilela

Recruit

hello , once i post a here about huge oil consumption on my 2004, 40 HP.
After beeing dismounted, was dicovered a very small passage hole, on the block, passing from the exasut gas system to the oil system,
the inner zinks were completely damadge.
do you have the 56 bulletin?,
i am in Portugal
tks in advance