Tohatsu 40 tiller steering torque

chipola

Recruit
When you take off with the motor trimmed down the steering torque is almost too much to hold. With the motor trimmed up it is bearable but still very noticeable. Is this normal prop torque? The boat is a CS j16 if it matters. You won't go far without trimming up unless you are Popeye. Have tried adjusting the tab thingy and it makes no difference. Thanks for any advice. chipola

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Tohatsu 40 tiller steering torque

you can fit a hydraulic steering damper ... "sea star" makes nice dampers to fit the tohatsu, otherwise if you wanto go the cheaper route you can buy your self a mercedes steering damper at any mercedes part shop (part for mercedes 100 truck) ......

chipola

Recruit

So a steering wheel & console may be the best fix. Thanks.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

So a steering wheel & console may be the best fix. Thanks.
Hello I am not the expert but I think deejaycee_2000 is saying you need to install a damper like the one on motorcycle and car steering you well use your tiller to steer not a hole steering setup only the damper and this should help the problem you are having. do you have the right shaft for your outboard maybe it is too long any way what model do you have? long shaft or a short shaft this may help to find the solution to your problem

chipola

Recruit

Can someone show me a picture? I can be a little slow sometimes. This sounds like what I want. I think the shaft set-up is ok based on what I have read on here.( I used search feature) It just has alot of torque until you get it planed out and trimmed up. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

here is a pic of the hydraulic system ......

holl08068.jpg

chipola

Recruit

Thanks deejaycee you have really been helpful. Is that a valve to control resisitance on the hydraulic lines?

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm bumping this for more info. Someone care to explain what is in that picture above?

The off the shelf tiller steering setups are a little to expensive for me.

Are the lines in that hydraulic cylinder just looped together?

mnormand

Cadet

This is somewhat interesting to me too. We have a gazillion small and big tiller outboards around here, and this is the first time I've ever heard of adding a steering stabilizer. I've had a yam40 tiller at one time, and short of it being scary fast, I don't remember any serious torqueing, didn't have trim/tilt either.

I almost bought a new Tohatsu 40 TLDI lately, but held off for now, but still interested. I would hate for this issue to surprise me.

pvanv

Admiral

Our Tohatsu customers don't have any issues with prop "walk" torque steering. But if a tiller-steered motor did have that problem, the hydraulic damper shown should tame it.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

This is somewhat interesting to me too. We have a gazillion small and big tiller outboards around here, and this is the first time I've ever heard of adding a steering stabilizer. I've had a yam40 tiller at one time, and short of it being scary fast, I don't remember any serious torqueing, didn't have trim/tilt either.

I almost bought a new Tohatsu 40 TLDI lately, but held off for now, but still interested. I would hate for this issue to surprise me.

There is no issue...The higher the hp, the more manliness required to hold an engine and control it. It's not a brand issue, its a power issue.