Honda 40 hp/ob stalling at increased throttle

GregDonigian

Recruit
Honda 40 hp outboard that stalls and boggs down above 3500 RPM. Motor is an 02 and has less than 40 hours. I have never had a tune up but have it winterized each year. Can someone help with advice as what to do the motor is not under warranty anymore. The motor will restart tight away and idle fine but when throttled up stalls

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Honda 40 hp/ob stalling at increased throttle

carb job probably...that low hour reading says the motor sits for a while not being used so your carbs are probably gummed up :cool:

GregDonigian

Recruit

Your right the boat sits at the cottage and only gets minimal usage on weekends, what should I do to the carb.your advice is appreciated.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

remove carbs...disassemble...soak...clean...reassemble & reinstall...run & check...if you can find a dealer with an ultrasound tank to clean them would be even better :cool:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Do Not Soak Marine Carbs!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Change the spark plugs first. My 25 did that this year and I thought "crap, gotta rebuild the carbs". Put new plugs in and tried it out and it runs better than when new. It's on a pontoon that doesn't get used very much either. Also ran a can of Seafoam in a 3 gallon gas tank through it.

sirtweek

Cadet

you could also try putting sea foam in the gas, in the oil, and running it through the carbs. The can has the instructions on it, stuff works great.

When I got my boat at the beginning of this season that was one of the first things I did after changing the plugs and batteries. Put a whole can through the carbs, pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders.

It runs much better now. I know the carbs prolly need to be rebuilt but I want to wait til the end of the year to do that.