25 HP Honda Performance

Riverman128

Seaman Apprentice
I stopped by a local Honda Dealer this week to get info on and discuss a 25 HP for my Alumacraft MV1542 Jon boat. He was a little less than enthusiastic about the engine and said I would not be happy with the performance. I currently have a 25HP Merc. 2-stroke and the boat is rated for a 25. I currently get 29 MPH by myself and lightly loaded. He said the 20 HP Honda would be a better choice but iwould give up 3-4 MPH compared to the Merc. He said the 25 & 30 HP engines were poor performers and I believe he said Honda was looking at discontinuing them. I appreciate his honesty but question if perfromance is really that bad and what would I be most disapointed in? Can someone comment on this please?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25 HP Honda Performance

You will probably lose 2-3mph by adding another 100lbs to your stern. I have a 25 Honda on my 18' pontoon and it is no speed demon. The only performance gain you will get over the Merc is fuel economy.

BF

Lieutenant

I don't have first hand experience, but.... my friends replaced their 25 hp merc 2 stroke with a 20 hp Honda last year. This is on a light aluminum utility boat. They are disappointed. That was a bigger drop in performance than they expected. Last time I spoke to them, they were talking about upgrading to a 25 hp (3 cyl) to regain some performance.

I replaced my old 25 hp evinrude with a new 25 4 stroke EFI merc this year. The new motor far outperforms my old one, even though it is lot heavier.

I wouldn't go with a 20hp... I hadn't heard of 25 honda's being "weak" before. Sounds to me like your dealer has extra stock of 20's that he's hoping to unload.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Honda's 25 and 30 products are triple cylinder engines and are quite weighty.Sometimes two stroke is the way to go if you can still get them where you live and the four stroke alternative is too heavy for your application.You might also check out Suzuki's new v twin 25 4 stroke.Kinda an odd looking,odd handling engine but very light for a 4 stroke.More or less a scaled down Harley engine set on it's side and tucked under a cowl.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude Etec is coming out with a 25 and 30 etec 35 cubes and 142 lbs
not bad weight for these days.

Trexmarc

Cadet

At Online Outboards they have Yamaha 25hp two strokes. My 25 Honda has lots of power but heavy 150+ pounds. It was too heavy for my 14ft semi-vee duracraft,40 in bottom. I am putting it on a 1548 Alweld next week. It runs on the motor stand with the muffs. It has been sitting a while but I drained the gas from the carbs before I let it set up.