Honda 4 stroke 15 HP 3 years old sunk

doroam

Recruit
Hello,
Was hoping some of you could help me out, my sail boat sunk and was under water in 5ft of water for about 2 hours. We got the boat back up and water out, but as you can imigine the motor wont start,Its a fairly new 3 year old Honda 4 stroke 15HP, I put new gas in and we have dried out everything and got her dry but motor cranks but does not fire, funds are low I lost my job 6 months ago so can't get shop to work on it. Was wondering if anyone could point me to what I need to do. I do not even know how to change the oil but am mechanical.

Thanks in advance

Russ

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda 4 stroke 15 HP 3 years old sunk

The owners manual covers the procedure for recovery from sinking. Unfortunately, it sounds like you were in salt water. Take the carb apart and clean it and try to get spark at the plugs. Use lots of WD-40 or the likes to displace the water.
There is a screw on the right, starboard side of the leg, just below the power head, take it out and drain into a plastic bottle. A, 2 liter clear pop bottle w/ top cut off works well, that way you can see what was in it. If there is a lot of water in the oil, then you will need to change/flush the system a couple of times. It holds just a little over a qt. of oil. The filler cap will be under the cowling and usually has a yellow screw cap on it.

doroam

Recruit

Thank You so much for your help and advice / boat did sink in Fresh Water on a lake - so maybe not as bad. I cannot find the owners manual so don't have factory process but sounds like your advice will get me down the road. Thanks again I will let you know how goes.

Russ

gss036

Commander

I had an old evinrude go under for a very shot period of time, (not running) several years ago, 1st thing I did was pull the plugs, dried out and immediately got it running. Has been great since then.
Trick is to dry it out and get the oil changed and clean the carb.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re:First thing you do pull all the plugs

Re:First thing you do pull all the plugs

Then turn the engine over by hand on flywheel,squirt oil through the plug holes or fogging oil maybe even auto tranny fluid. I bet a honda would still run like that. Then the obvious cleaning carb, spray fog down the carb throut.