Honda 50 alarm

pointwhite

Recruit
My BF50 began an alarm after coming out of winter storage. The alarm is a beeping alarm (as opposed to steady alarm) and occurs once the throttle is pushed past idle, in either reverse or forward. (oil, over-temp, and over rev are all steady alarms I believe) The manual says the beeping alarm is for the tilt angle. But once the tilt angle sensor is disconnected, the alarm continues.
Where else could this alarm originate? Short of checking every wire connection in the boat........what next?
Thanks for any guidance............

charlymola

Recruit
Re: Honda 50 alarm

I had similar problem and it was the tilt angle sensor. It had got locked in the upper position and when the engine was down the trim indicator showed up position.
Try to push the sensor down with your fingers and let it there.

pointwhite

Recruit

Thanks. It was the tilt sensor. Even though I manipulated it from one end of its range to the other, it did not help. Apparently there was internal corrosion that was shorting out. I was able to get some WD-40 into the sealed unit, and it cleared up the problem. It appears that other suggestions that recommended removing the switch is not a solution. It still needs a power loop, otherwise it assumes an error ( bad tilt angle), and sends the alarm.

Thanks for the input. Problem solved.

charlymola

Recruit

In my case I have annulated the sensor. My boat is a sail boat and the steering wheel is at the back, so I just have to turn my head to see if the engine is down or up.

Glad to hear that your problem is solved.

Carlos.