Stuck Sparkplug- 2004 200hp Honda

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm asking for someone that I know
New boat/motor to him.

He says that #5 sparkplug is frozen in the head and his mechanic tells him that it will need head work @ $1200 cost.

He's going to leave the plugs, run it, until it's time to change them.

Any tips to try to free up the frozen sparkplug in the up coming months?

Thanks, Scott

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stuck Sparkplug- 2004 200hp Honda

PB Blaster - give it a spray every day for three or four days, not a lot, just enough to coat the base of the plug. Use a real plug wrench, not one of those aluminum things - after every spray just tap ever so lightely as if you were tyring to remove it. It will come out. Oh, no running the engine while you're doing this.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you gcboat,

I'll pass the info along and maybe he'll get lucky :)

Scott

gss036

Commander

Seems like I read another post with the same problem a few weeks ago. Is this a common problem with the big Hondas? If so, what is the cure?
I ask this because I am going to pick up my boat on Tuesday with a new 225 hp Honda on it.

tommays

Admiral

Pretty much ANY motor require annual service Or 100 hours more or less

BUT the 100 hours turns into 2 to 4 years for many lightly used motors and things get stuck that would NOT if they were serviced

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like I read another post with the same problem a few weeks ago. Is this a common problem with the big Hondas? If so, what is the cure?
I ask this because I am going to pick up my boat on Tuesday with a new 225 hp Honda on it.

Might be worth smearing a thin coat of anti-seize on the threads before it becomes a problem.

gss036

Commander

I was at the Honda dealership today and I asked about stuck plugs and anti-seize. They said they never have the problem and that anti-seize should not be used on spark plugs.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to know that...

but somebody had a problem :confused:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Might be worth smearing a thin coat of anti-seize on the threads before it becomes a problem.

no need, just use a grease
read up on anti-sieze on NGK web site

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i have seen this more that once at the shop
i used heat and PB blaster

cebu97

Cadet

This was me......

The good news is............I took my engine to another shop.......
told them I had a seized plug.............the tech worked on the plug very gently with a breaker bar.........then spent over an hour or so using an impact socket set very low and kept firing it on and off.....

Plug came out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked.........they did not use heat or PB BLaster.....I did however soak this plug with PB Blaster a month earlier.

Interestingly........the Tech said the plugs are so sealed that PB Blaster would not get in ........so he did not use it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Stuck Sparkplug Prevention

Stuck Sparkplug Prevention

I'm asking for someone that I know
New boat/motor to him.

Any tips to try to free up the frozen sparkplug in the up coming months?

Thanks, Scott

This is not a tip to free frozen plugs, it's a prevention tip, have been doing this for years with excellent results, When you remove used plugs to regap/clean whatever or change for new ones. Make yourself a big cottom swab using a wooden chinese stick used for eating, dip in acrylic thiner, insert through plug hole and clean threads making round spins of the cotton swap against threads, untill perfectly clean as when engine was new, perform this on every cylinder, don't forget to clean plugs seat on each cylinder too. This will lessen huge carbon/oil built ups deposits than can stick plugs tight. Perfom prevention periodically every time a plug is removed.

Caution: use a big amount of cotton well wrapped into wooden stick about 5 cm long untill doesn't move round in stick. Insert about 3 cm long into hole, and clean, whatch out that the entire cotton swap may enter the cylinder if inserted to deep, Change constantly until cottom swap comes out inmaculate from every cylinder. You can use also carb cleaner sprayed in swap if no thiner available. This will help remove huge amounts of carbon/oil build ups deposits on cylinder head & plugs threads that can freeze plugs.

Happy Boating

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was told years ago to always use a light oil on the threads before installing the plugs.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

You did not say how much was that? some pep turn the plugs in to much you can not take it out maybe they think it is a lug nut!!! I clean the base around the threads and I put them in by hand *** so it would not cross thread!! (Done it before) and finish off with a real spark plug socket 1/4 off a turn if new 1/8 if it used and it is easy to take out

gss036

Commander

I hate to say anything bad about Hondas, but so far everything I have needed to loosen on my new Honda 225, has required a hammer type impact wrench to loosen screws to change the oil and the lower end. On my older 15 HP, same thing, when I had to do the water pump, one of the bolts broke off, probably cross threaded, trying to the lower unit down. The then shift lever seperation nuts were cross threaded and I never did get them loose, even in a vise after removing the clevis pin at the top and taking out the whole rod. That is the only things that have given me any grief. I used to work w/a Marine SSgt who loved to overtighten things, but he usually broke them off tightening them and called me to finish up his mess.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

ANTI=SEIZE and salt water makes it permanent-sieze. They don't work well together.Jerry

duner

Cadet

anti-sieze on spark plug threads changes the plugs effective heat range.