Honda BF8A Lower Unit Removal/Impeller Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to replace the impeller on a Honda 9.9 or possibly 8 hp, it's a model number BF8A with a serial # beginning with BZBC 15xxxxxx, it came from a small sailboat, I removed the bolts holding the lower unit and it drops out fine about 2 inches, i can't tell if I need to remove the drive shaft somehow or what to get the lower unit all the way off, the other option would be to go ahead and remove the impeller casing (I can get to the bolts holding it on) but I feel like the lower unit should be able to come all the way off.

I don't have a shop manual (counting pennies these days) any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Honda BF8A Lower Unit Removal/Impeller Question

you can pull up parts diagrams at boats.net...I think the shift shaft has to come apart...I think there's a rubber grommet you remove to get access to the joint :cool:

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda BF8A Lower Unit Removal/Impeller Question

I am not familiar with that particular engine, but I did my 15 HP Honda and there were 4 bolts that held the lower unit on. You do need to disconnect the shift rod (first) that comes down the front of the lower unit. Normally, you put it in reverse and unscrew the smallest of the 2 nuts on the shaft, then unscrew the longer one (about 3/4"), it should be left handed threads.
Once the 4 bolts are out it drops down.

JimJan

Recruit
Unhook the shift shaft from the top. It is a one piece shaft. Not easy but once you do that the lower unit will come right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.