Honda idle issues

bunnie72

Recruit
HI,
My boyfriend owns a small 4 stroke honda outboard. Whe he purchased it, it ran fine, then he got some rope tangled in the prop and stalled it out. :eek: After that it has run very rough. It will stall at idle and will only run with the choke. He changed the gas and cleaned the plugs, it starts on the first or second pull most of the time. Can anybody give me a clue as to what we can do to fix this, other than taking it to a dealer? Seems to also bog out when you give it gas in Neutral? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Heather

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda idle issues

It is so sweet that you are here on your boyfriends behalf.Please if you can give us a little more llike horsepower,age ,etc.A general heath check is in order. That involves a compression test,valve adjustment,fuel sobreity test,etc.Give us a lttle more info and we will all love to help you out.

bunnie72

Recruit

It is an 04 15 hp and is on a 14 ft boat. Not sure what else I can give you?.

gss036

Commander

Pull the prop and see if there is rope wrapped around it binding things up a bit.

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Bunnie,
In my opinion, you've got some carburetion issue, regardless of your propeller accident. If you want to try something for yourself before visiting a dealer, I'd suggest removing and checking the carburetor circuits, especially the idle one. When this circuit is obstructed, you can easily compensate the fuel starvation by activating the enrichment system(choke). I suppose it's hard to have the engine started when cold, since this is a situation when you need both the choke and idle circuits working.
It is not difficult for you to do a carburetor job, but keep in mind there are some very delicate parts in there that you shouldn't damage. And you'll have to recognize the circuits, so you'll know you did the complete job. You'll need a set of new gaskets/o-rings for reassemble too. If you feel confident for the job, let me know and I'll help you as much as I can. Otherwise, I suggest just letting a dealer do it for you. He could also think and try other causes for your engine's symptoms.

Good luck!

Henrique

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a little trick that only works about 1/2 the time but worth a try

pull the tank end off your fuel line put the end in a bottle of omc 2x4 fuel conditioner or a bottle of GM injector cleaner then open the drain on carb bowl flush gas out with primer bulb on fuel line then close bowl drain fill carb with cleaner let set at least 24 hours
PUT FUEL CONECTOR BACK ON FUEL LINE
then REPEAT FLUSHING WITH FRESH FUEL
try this it has worked on many ocations especially when engine still runs just dont run rite