honda 15 warm start issues

hey guys i'm new to this site so bear with me,although have visited many times in the past.from what i have seen there is a lot of helpful info here,now to my problem.WARM START PROBLEMS.i have a 2001 honda 15hp w electric start i recently purchased from a one owner that had been sitting for 9 months. cold start is no prob at all,i pull the choke all the way out & it cranks instantly,although it does have to warm up for 5-10 minutes(is that normal)? i know that honda is a reliable sngine but it has let me down 2 times.after running for a while full throttle & trolling when i shut it down it is very hard to start back up.sometimes an hour or longer.the engine turs over cranks for a sec. & dies.ive tried w full choke,half choke & no choke.if & when it does crank i put it in gear & it dies again.i repeat the process over & over.the last time this happened i pulled the cover off drained carb bowl & pumped bulb & it stays firm,same thing runs 1-2sec & dies.the only way i finally got it started after trying every thing i could think of was to put my fingers over the plastic peace with the screen in it thats attached to the carb-it fired right up & i went staight to the boat landing.is it a carb prob,valve issue?i dont have a clue & dont know when this engine was last serviced,any ideas would be greatly appreceated>

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: honda 15 warm start issues

First of all we need to determine if you have a 15a or a 15d. Both wonderful engines but with some very different characteristics.If your engine cover is somewhat rounded and has a plastic tiller handle you have a 15d.Do'es that sound right?

hey sorry for not adding that info.its a 2001 honda 15hp model bf15a with a somewhat sqare engine cover & i 'm pretty sure the tiller handle is metal. like i stated before -i know for a fact that honda products are excellent trouble free componants.when i was a kid i had honda dirt bikes,still have my honda big red 250,& honda lawnmower & never have had one single issue with any of them..the isuue with my honda outboard really has me scratching my head,so any information or input will be greatly apreciated,thanks for ur time.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

O.K.,warm start issues are ussually related to compression or fuel quality.Carefully take a fuel sample out of your tank into a clean fuel tolerent container and see how much ,water,crude,discoloration,etc,you have going on in that fuel.Take a quick wiff and see if it still smells like gasoline or like varnish.If that makes you happy you need a compression test.Problem with that is Honda uses 18mm spark plugs and a lot of people do not have that adaptor.Do the test at wide open.You will need to cheat the starter lockout.If your numbers are not close to even start with checking valve lash or do a leakdown test if you are able.

the fuel tank & fuel line is brand new & was used for the first time when i took the engine & boat out for a ride.i purchased the gas just before launching the boat so the gas is new & fresh , although i did check it since u mentioned it & its fine.my question is how do i check the compression @ full throttle?do u mean while the engine is in neutral & reaved up or while the engine is in forward & running @ full throttle.i may be missunderstanding u,but it seems like a hard thing to do @ full throttle & in forward running down the river,lol.anyway what should the compression be on both cylinders & how close should these #s be within each other?if the compression is the problem,does that indicate a valve adjustmate is needed-& hey thank u for the great info.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Check compression with both spark plugs out and your twist grip at wide open. Install the gauge into each plug hole and carefully crank away. Usually about five pulls on a manual start, an electric just let it crank until the gauge stops getting higher in number ,in fact do that either way.You will need a way to defeat the starter lockout or safety switch.I do not remember if you had a rope or electric start engine but if it is a rope take off your engine cover and watch how that lockout mechanism works.You'll figure it out.Watch the springy thing at the very top of your recoil starter and remember ,PLUGS OUT, LANYARD PULLED!!!