Honda Outboard WINTERIZE

95g atl

Recruit
Tried to do a search about this but came up empty handed.

I have a BF75 Honda Outboard that usually sits in the lake year round. The lake never gets cold enough to freeze. UNFORTUNTATELY, Lake Lanier (Outside of Atlanta, GA) is low on water so we had the boat pulled. It's sitting in outdoor storage right now. Typically ATLANTA winters will get into the 20's on cold nights...sometimes in the teens. I don't want to crack a block if there is water in the engine.

My MAIN concern is there any water left in the cooling system of this outboard? How would I go about draining it so it doesn't freeze? ...Or does it automatically drain out when I shut off the engine??Thanks!

Any help is appreciated... thanks,
Brian

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda Outboard WINTERIZE

make sure its down in running position and water will drain. you sould change lu oil also any water inthere will freeze.

95g atl

Recruit

thanks for the reply. Let me see if i understand....the water automatically drains out of the engine if the engine is in down in running position? That would mean i'm ok. ...or... do I need to start it up while the boat is out of the water and run it for the water to drain?

thanks.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

DONT EVER RUN MOTOR WITH NO WATER EVER.Just leave down and if you want you can turn over a couple of times to get any excess water out just oull kill cord out so it wont start. if your going to use it in the next month or so thats all you have to do if its going to sit longer let me know and i will walk you through the prosses mike

95g atl

Recruit

DONT EVER RUN MOTOR WITH NO WATER EVER.Just leave down and if you want you can turn over a couple of times to get any excess water out just oull kill cord out so it wont start. if your going to use it in the next month or so thats all you have to do if its going to sit longer let me know and i will walk you through the prosses mike

Mike, thanks again for the reply. I'm pretty new to the outboard motor thing...basically a car guy.

Ok, don't run the water w/o water...
The boat will sit the entire winter b/c of the low lake level. So figure at least 5 more months sitting. I already put the fuel stabilizer in and ran the boat around the lake for a good hour before I stored it.

My MAIN concern is water freezing in the block. We do get a few nights in Atlanta where it drops into the teens. If just by shutting off the engine in the upright position, most of the water in the block drains out, I believe i'm ok.

Let me know... thanks, Brian

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

just make sure to leave it down and water will drain you can turn flywheel by hand clockwise once and it will push any water out and change lu oil. also make sure in spring to put new wate pump impella in its not hard to do and after sitting dry for a while they take a set and get briddle its a cheap way to keep motor from frying.

95g atl

Recruit

just make sure to leave it down and water will drain you can turn flywheel by hand clockwise once and it will push any water out and change lu oil. also make sure in spring to put new wate pump impella in its not hard to do and after sitting dry for a while they take a set and get briddle its a cheap way to keep motor from frying.

awesome...! I pretty much did the above so i'm set with not having water freeze the block. The water pump impeller already took a dump last year so that has been replaced. Thank goodness the Honda has the audible noise alert and reduces engine speed to idle. A nice family pulled me back into the marina.

Thanks again for the assistance!!!
Brian

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

even though you changed last season i would change in spring