Changing a tohatsu 60 into a 70 hp

davea

Cadet
firstly hello everbody this is my first post.

i am thinking about buying a new tohatsu 70hp,spoke to a dealer today about buying one.
he is trying to convince me to buy a 60hp,which he says he can change into a 70hp easily, he says he will give me a certificate to prove and he is allowed as he is a tohatsu dealer,
is this easily done or am i being conned? the price is difference about ?400 gbp.
thanks in advance
dave

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Changing a tohatsu 60 into a 70 hp

3 new carburetors
1 throttle cam spring

About $600.00 U.S. for the parts and 2.0 hours labor.

davea

Cadet

mmmm the dealer told me it was a timing adjustment and some other minor works,then the 60 would be a 70,
he is supplying with a certtificate stating it has been converted to a 70.
so if its not i can report him to a goverment body we have here in the uk called "trading standards"
any idea how i get the engine dyno tested?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I would stop at this point. The dealer is either lying to you or does not know what is involved in turning the engine into a 70. I suspect what you will get is a 60 that will burn up. Also, Tohatsu does not offer any warranty on an engine that is converted. If they don't know about it you would be able to get away with it, but since your dealer is commiting the boost to paper you stand an excellent chance of getting an engine that will burn up from having the timing advanced and you will have no warranty recourse. As to the dyno...Not a clue over there.

davea

Cadet

I would stop at this point. The dealer is either lying to you or does not know what is involved in turning the engine into a 70. I suspect what you will get is a 60 that will burn up. Also, Tohatsu does not offer any warranty on an engine that is converted. If they don't know about it you would be able to get away with it, but since your dealer is commiting the boost to paper you stand an excellent chance of getting an engine that will burn up from having the timing advanced and you will have no warranty recourse. As to the dyno...Not a clue over there.

i phone up tohatsu uk today,and explained my dilema to them.
they told me it was all above board,they know the dealer concerned,it was ok do do this and my warranty will still stand,the technical dept explained the process to me and said it was a simple job to do,
if you would like to know how pm me,

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I think you misunderstood. It is a simple process to do. You change out the three carbs or drill them out and change the spring. The problem is that it is considered a modification of the engine by Tohatsu and it will void your warranty. If the U.K. distributor, who acts as the warranty administrator for Tohatsu Japan, is willing to file a fraudulent warranty claim in the future then you will probably be okay. The only exception to this would be if Tohatsu U.K. is responsible for paying it's own warranty claims and does not get reimbursed by Tohatsu Japan. Some distributors around the world buy the engines without any warranty and back it themselves. I would suspect that is the case here. If the dealer is telling you he can drill the carbs hope that he really does know what he is doing because a mistake will lean the engine out or cause the engine to run rich.

Sparow

Cadet

It is easy to do the change, however the engine wears out much faster.