2000 Honda 50 Rough Idel

seahunt52

Cadet
I got a Honda 50 , year 2000, with about 23 hrs on it. Practically a brand new motor.

Seems to run kind of rough in idle and seems hard to start when cold. When starting, I prime the bulb until stiff, pull out the choke and crank the starter key. It may take multiple tries before it fires up. Once it fires I push the choke back in and crank one more time. It generally fires up quickly at this point, but then I am forced to put it in gear for a few minutes before I can put it in idle so it can warm up. Is this normal?

This past weekend my motor failed to start when I turned the key. Battery is good, but the starter would not turn. I put the throttle in gear and back to neutral and it finally turned over. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Maybe an issue with the Honda throttle? This boat has Honda controls.

I am new to motor boats so any insight will be helpful.

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: 2000 Honda 50 Rough Idel

I got a Honda 50 , year 2000, with about 23 hrs on it. Practically a brand new motor.

Seems to run kind of rough in idle and seems hard to start when cold. When starting, I prime the bulb until stiff, pull out the choke and crank the starter key. It may take multiple tries before it fires up. Once it fires I push the choke back in and crank one more time. It generally fires up quickly at this point, but then I am forced to put it in gear for a few minutes before I can put it in idle so it can warm up. Is this normal?

This past weekend my motor failed to start when I turned the key. Battery is good, but the starter would not turn. I put the throttle in gear and back to neutral and it finally turned over. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Maybe an issue with the Honda throttle? This boat has Honda controls.

I am new to motor boats so any insight will be helpful.

You say the boat has Honda controls, so that must mean you have a remote control. If that's the case you don't use the choke knob at the engine, instead you lift the fast idle lever all the way (this engages the choke selinoid at the remote) until the motor fires then you release it. You release as soon as the motor fires and then only off of the choke position. Don't lower the lever much past the 2/3rd postion as this is the fast idle feature.
Sometimes in very cold weather the choke lever has to be "bumped" a time or two into the choke position after it fires up.

The second problem "no crank" is an out of adjustment neutral safety switch.
Sometimes if you put the motor in neutral from reverse postion the switch doesn't go into detent. Yet if you go into forward then back to neutral it does go into detent. Adjust the linkage to where the NSS goes into detent from both positions.

As a side note, the 20 hour valve adjustment is very important on that motor.
Most rough idle/hard start <when cold> complaints are valve adjustment issues.

seahunt52

Cadet
Re: 2000 Honda 50 Rough Idel

Thank you for the response. I have made arrangments for the 20 hr. maint.

The throttle does not have the fast idle lever you are talking about. Just Throttle for foward and reverse with neutral. What it does have is a choke switch below the throttle.

I will check the throttle connections and make adjustments as recomended.

Thanks again.