Honda 15hp won't idle

ineed_help

Recruit
Hi to everyone,
I need some help with a honda 15 4 stroke. problem is it will start easly on the pull cord or button and will run fine on the choke but it stalls when the choke is closed (after upto 5mins warmup). This happens when the cover is on and off. I have checked all the connections for fuel, cleaned and changed the plugs, cleaned the carb, new fuel etc. I have adjusted the idle speed but i cant get it run at less aprox half throttle. This engine is on a friends boat that he just bought and he seen it running in a barrel for 30 mins, but first time out this happens!
I have no experience with 4 stroke engines and would appreciate any help/ suggestions. I can't get any engine details until the weekend but at a guess i would say it's about early 90's.
thanks in advance for any help:confused:

biggerthomas

Cadet
Re: Honda 15hp won't idle

well we have to start somewhere...how about this--

how far, vertically speaking, is the gas tank from the fuel mount on the engine?

also, adjusting the idle bar, not the screw, is really easy so you should try fooling around with that too. but be careful while adjusting the bar because if you pull it too far forward and start it up, the thing's going to rev like hell and could cause some damage. so take it slow and easy...good luck

JUSTINTIME

Captain

did you clean the carb good
as in pull jets out and tube and clean?

ineed_help

Recruit

well the fuel tank is about the same level give or take a few inches, as for cleaning the carb i suppose i could have done a more through job. I will do it properly at the weekend. Thing is, it was running in a tank the day before for about 30 mins with no problems, next day it won't run below about half throttle well it only runs the choke as soon as i close it the motor stops. I will clean the carb better this time and see if it helps.

ineed_help

Recruit

hi everyone, just to update this post i got a call earlier and the guy that owns this engine left it with a dealer during the week and cleaned the carb properly and everything is fine. so thanks for your suggestions and hopefully every thing will be ok this next trip.