tohatsu 115hp no power out of the hole and stange find

rysemus

Recruit
I have a 1992 tohatsu 115hp 2 stroke.

Out of no where my motor started acting up. One day it would not rev passed 2500rmps trying to get on a plane. Once on a plane the rpms reached 5000rpms. It normally runs between 5000 & 5200 wot and has never had problems getting on a plane in less then 10 seconds.

I repalced the plugs and fuel/water separator. It had been a year so I figured its a starting point. That didn't help and the motor started dieing at idle.

Today I removed the air box cover (I think thats what it's called) to expose the carbs. I wanted to see if anything was blocking the carbs.....

To my surprise I found the choke plates (butterflies) for the top and bottom carbs sitting at the bottom of the air box.... not good and not expected.

I turns out the the two screws holding each plate on are long gone. They had lossened at some point, striped the threads out from movement, then fell out....

I tapped the holes and lock tighted the new screws in.

Now to my Question

Could the fact that the choke plate on two carbs were missing cause the motor to not rev up from a dead start to get the boat on a plane? Maybe to much air???

If anyone has advice one other things to check before it test it on the water please fire away.

Thanks Rick

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: tohatsu 115hp no power out of the hole and stange find

Find the missing screws as the only place they could have gone are back into the engine.......Boom!