Tohatsu 9.8 Power

joecit

Cadet
I just purchased a new 2007 9.8 tohatsu,it a great little motor,but the power does not compare to the 97 force 9.9 i replaced it with.Im still breaking the motor in and have advanced to full throttle for a couple of secs but the power does not seem to be there.Could it be the prop? or are these just simply a slower motor.Thanks

coaster

Recruit
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 Power

i am glad you posted this,i was about to purchase a 9.8 nissan from a local dealer.he said the 9.8 probably would not plane my 1436 alumacraft jon boat.i find that hard to believe.i have heard the 4stroke was a little slower.maybe someone else will help ous both out.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 Power

Four-stroke engines have anywhere from 10 % to 25 % less take off power than 2-strokes due to their power curve. You can improve your hole shot by dropping down in pitch 1 inch, however, you will lose 1 to 2 mph at WOT. Send a thank you note to the EPA for screwing over the public with their dumb regulations which have resulted in more expensive, heavier engines with less power and higher repair costs. Yea EPA!