1992 Nissan 15hp Outboard -NS15B2 problem

Lock and Dam13

Recruit
I have a 1992 15hp short shaft/tiller Nissan outboard which for the most part always runs strong and starts right up. For some reason the other day while cruising along the motor came to a slow and steady stop- it sounded almost like the fuel line was pulled away from the motor. I tried starting back up and nothing. Again nothing. Finally after using the choke I was able to get the motor to idle at a somewhat high speed- however within a few seconds it slowed and came to a steady stop. This time it never started back up. I feel like I checked the obvious (spark plugs, fuel line/tank, etc.). Does this sound like something that I need to clean out the carb. since it is an older model? Not sure of what to do next. Any suggestions................anyone? Eager to get back on the water. Matt

rogerwa

Commander
Re: 1992 Nissan 15hp Outboard -NS15B2 problem

To me it sounds like fuel delivery. I would first check to ensur the bulb is firm and then check for gunk in the tank. You may try a different tank to rule this out. After that I would diconnect the hose that goes to the carb and put it in a cup and then crank the engine to see if you are geting fuel delivery. Also check any filters along the path as well as any connections for leaks or air intrusion.

If you don't get delivery from the hose, then I would pull apart your fuel pump, provided the path is clear, to check its condition.

Lock and Dam13

Recruit

Roger I appreciate the quick response. I will do as you have stated and hopefully this will get this thing fired back up for good times. I am some what new to the outboard engine world and have a feeling that I will be learning alot quickly thanks to people/boaters such as yourself. Take care and thanks again.

rogerwa

Commander

One other question, was the telltale stream present? This also could be an ovrheat. When you run it check for a good telltale stream.