used honda 25 hp, what maintenance items?

BF

Lieutenant
Hi, I don't have one yet, but I may have a source for a 2 year old honda 25 hp. (a fishing camp motor). What, if any, maintenance items should be done on a 2 year old motor that has seen relatively heavy use (compared to others in this area). Our season is short, but camp motors will be more heavily used than privately owned motors.

I'm aware of the typical OB maintenance things like impeller, lower unit oil/seals, spark plugs etc... But I've never owned a 4 stroke.

I'm assuming that it's been taken from the dealership, flown out into the bush, and been used 2 seasons without any maintenance (other than lower unit oil changes). Maybe the engine oil has been changed... maybe not. Do these motors have a built in hour meter in their electronic brains? If so, is there a way for a user to read the hours?

I like the smoothness of these motors, but I'm a bit leary that they may need valve train work to keep them running well (which I'm guessing would get pricey quick)... Unless it's something that a do-it-yourself type could tackle. FYI, I have rebuilt lower units before so, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to working on OB's... But I am with 4 stroke OB's.

Thanks for your thoughts!

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: used honda 25 hp, what maintenance items?

download the manual from honda

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: used honda 25 hp, what maintenance items?

no computer to keep track of hours on a motor of that size...any time a customer of mine buys a used boat or motor I advise them to do a full service so they know the maintenance history for sure...oil & filter,gear oil,fuel filter(s),grease propshaft and driveshaft when you have lower unit off to do a water pump,grease engine fittings,coat block with corrosion inhibitor :cool: