honda 50hp four stroke cant go full throttle

stingrayzp

Recruit
hi just put a honda 50hp on my 24ft pontoon boat its a 1999 has 172 hours on it runs great but when i give it full throttle sounds like a dead miss or to much fuel falls on its face its only turning 4600 rpms ne one have any ideas runs fine at 3/4 throttle it turns 4200 at 3/4 thanks mike

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: honda 50hp four stroke cant go full throttle

Try a lower pitch prop.

Marv

Cadet

Running too high of a pitch prop, loads up with fuel at WOT running too low of RPM's.

Jellyfish12

Recruit

has it ever ran good at full throttle? if so try having someone squeeze the primer bulb hard a few times and see if it smooths out. I have this problem and not sure what the problem is. if it ran good before than it is probably not the prop.

abornpatriot

Recruit

I Have The Same Problem.......i Cleaned Carbs(3) 4x's Changed Out Water/gas Filter 2x And The Small Gas Filter 1x. Tuned Carbs About 50x's. ......... She Purssssssss In Neutral But Under Load She Quits. I Hate Quitters. I Am Ordering A New Main Hose From 6gal. Tank To Engine. I Have No Other Ideas. Oh Ya I Also Dumped About $20 Dollars Of Gas In Gas Stations Tank. Than Filled W/ New Gas............same Result
Can The Timing Belt Be Stretched? If Sooo She Would Start Hard Right?( She Always Starts Right Up) Any Help And I Would Be Greatful.
Abornpatriot

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

50 ponies on a 24' pontoon is one heck of a load. Your prop pitch is critical. Probably something in the 10-11" pitch range will get you in the ball park.

Skinnywater

Commander

Not very likely prop pitch will cure a misfire.

I had #2 sparkplug burnout inside the insulator @ around 200 hours with my BF50. It idled great but would fall on it's face at higher RPM.
If I remember the plugs are supposed to be changed @200 hours even though they look good.

Remember also your motor has a protection feature that will cut power appox. 1/3 if it is overheating or experiencing oil pressure problems.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Prop Should Be A 4 Blade 9 Pitch Prop On That Boat
A Set Of Vacume Gauges Will Tell You If You Have Carbs Acting Up
You Can Try Pulling One Plug Wire At A Time To See If The All Make The Same Difference If You Dont Have The Gauges (make Sure If You Pull Wires Off While Running You A Well Insulated Pair Of Pliars) We Use A Set Of Industrial Fuse Pullers In The Shop . If Carbs Are The Problem The Gauges Will Be Needed For The Final Adjustments After Cleaning / Rebuilding