New engine Tohatsu MFS - milky gear oil question

spear

Recruit
Hello to all members here !

I need your help.
2 weeks ago I bought completely new, never used outboard engine Tohatsu MFS 9.8:

3engine.jpg

In the user manual I read that after 3-5 hours work I must change the engine oil and the gear oil.
Yesterday I decided to do this job. First I changed the engine oil - it was like new, but with small metal bits inside. I know the reason for these metal bits, so no problem with this.
Then I start to change the gear oil. Here is what I have drained out:

1milky.jpg

:(
It was bad surprise, because I have read in the manual if the gear oil have milky color to contact the local dealer for assistance.
I decided to call first a friend here who have engine repair center. He told me to not worry.
Here goes my first question. Is this normal? Is this engine defective? It has 2 years warranty. After 2 days will start my family vacation. We all want to be with this boat in the sea every day. Is it safe for my family?

Linked to the above I have noticed one more thing. Look at this hole:

2hole.jpg

There have 2 holes like this on both sides. I have noticed that sometime from
these holes flow minimal quantity oil. I found stains in my garage under the engine and find out from where they come - from these 2 holes.
What mean these holes?

Please help me :confused:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: New engine Tohatsu MFS - milky gear oil question

The engine oils should be changed initially at 20 hours. The milky color is abnormal....Although the gear oil from the factory is clear and is subject to being translucent after use. While it could be normal to have a tiny...I mean one or two tiny bits of metal, amount of debris in the engine oil, it is not normal to have over that. The two small holes are to drain the motor leg cavity of water.

My best guess after looking at your pictures is that your engine needs to be taken into a dealer before you use it again.

spear

Recruit
Re: New engine Tohatsu MFS - milky gear oil question

Thank you Elvin! I will call the local dealer here.
Seems I have bad luck with this engine :mad: