Honda BF75 Cooling Problem

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a 1980's Honda BF75 7.5hp outboard and it will not spit a steady stream of water out. Nothing at idle except steam and a sputter and half throttle. So far I have done the following to try and correct the problem

Replace impeller
Clean water intake screen on lower unit
Clean impeller housing
Removed side cover and cleaned housing
Blew out water intake line

What else could it be?

ovlo

Cadet
Re: Honda BF75 Cooling Problem

look at the thermostat. could be blocked. one of my evinrudes started getting hot there was a bunch of sand and small crap stuck all around it

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I removed the thermostat and it has some garbage around it. Would it damage the engine if I ran it without it?

ovlo

Cadet

no it wont destroy your motor but it will run colder than it should fuel wont burn all the way with cooler combustion chamber and cylinder/ring wear will go up

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cleaned the thermostat and now it spits water better at half throttle but still nada at idle

Flounder pounder

Seaman Apprentice

I always pull the pee-joint out of the cylinder wall. There always seems to be stuff trapped behind it.

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a flush adapter that was for a BF100 from years ago and after running the BF75 today it seemed to be running great!. It spits water out at idle and water comes out two holes on the lower unit.