2002 Honda BF40 - stalls at idle, OIL is MILKY and FOAMY!

Stoeger

Recruit
Oil was changed when winterized in the fall, and changed again 3 weeks ago when at the marina while getting a new wiring harness. Have maybe 3 hours total running time since the last oil change, most of which has been sitting at the dock testing, trying to get it to run right.

Last night while testing I pulled out the dipstick to verify the oil level and this THICK WHITE COLORED MILKY FOAM, came oozing out the dipstick hole. EEEEK!

I've seen this consistency on Jeeps axles/differentials before, and I think it means water has gotten in there? Has water gotten into my engine? What kind of seal(?)... head gasket(?)... might be leaking water into my oil?

Stoeger

Recruit
Re: 2002 Honda BF40 - stalls at idle, OIL is MILKY and FOAMY!

Pulled the plugs - 1 of them has a shiny "powerwashed" spot on the flat shoulder... about 25% of the way around the rim. I was expecting the whole plug to be "clean" if water was in the cylinder, but it was just a portion around the rim... is that normal for water in there?

Also, that plug was fairly pretty loose in it's hole, and it appears to be water in the threads of that plug also. The other 2 plugs look normal and threads were dry.

Does that help the diagnosis?

jclark

Cadet

that's to bad. this is the time of year that you need to have to the boat running.

good luck.

Skinnywater

Commander

Pulled the plugs - 1 of them has a shiny "powerwashed" spot on the flat shoulder... about 25% of the way around the rim. I was expecting the whole plug to be "clean" if water was in the cylinder, but it was just a portion around the rim... is that normal for water in there?

Also, that plug was fairly pretty loose in it's hole, and it appears to be water in the threads of that plug also. The other 2 plugs look normal and threads were dry.

Does that help the diagnosis?

A cylinder leak-down test will help in the diagnosis.