Tohatsu 5hp 2 Stroke Power Loss When Warm Only

planetexpress

Recruit
I figure I'll ask on here to see if anyone has had this problem with a 2 stroke outboard. This shouldn't be specific to Tohatsus:

My Tohatsu 5HP, 2 stroke outboard has a vexing problem. It starts right up and develops good power for approx the first minute or two of operation, until the outboard warms up. After this time, the outboard produces somewhere around 1/2-3/4 of the normal power it would produce.

You can run it for an hour, but as long as it's warm, it produces 1/2-3/4 of the power it does when it's cold.

If I drop the dinghy at a dock for a few hours and start it from cold again, the normal power returns. Any time the engine is cold, it runs perfectly. Any time it's warm, it gets sluggish.

Things I know:

Impeller is producing a good jet of water and cooling the engine (it isn't heating up or producing any temps inside the housing)

Lower unit gear oil was replaced this spring, as normal.

Spark plug was replaced a few minutes ago as a possible root to the problem. That didn't change the behavior of the outboard.

Fuel isn't an issue since it has been doing this on more than one tank of fuel. I've burned 2 tanks of different fuel with the same results.

Thinking outside the box:

Is it possible that my rings are shot or something? I mean those things expand when heated (or the cylinder does), which may make some spacing issues as the engine is warm that don't take place when cold, right? Just grasping at straws here. I'm not quite sure what to start looking at next.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 5hp 2 Stroke Power Loss When Warm Only

You should be working with a manual.
Start with a compression check. Be sure the you're running the right plug.
It wouldn't hurt to try a heat range cooler plug if you can't find anything else.Timing is electronicly advanced you can check it with a timing light.
You might try a good de carb.
Try reducing the throttle slightly to see how it reacts.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In general, when an engine runs fine cold but, fails when warmed up, the problem(s) are related to mechanical(engine) or electrical(ignition).

planetexpress

Recruit

Thanks for the ideas, and I definitely agree - it might be time to bite the bullet and get a manual. I've become good at fixing Johnson 9.9's from owning one of those and having the manual for it. The Tohatsu is from 1997 and hasn't had a bit of trouble until just now.

The other day, when the unit was losing power (it basically loses RPMs at full throttle, but runs normally at 3/4 throttle), I heard a "clacking" sound.

It sounded like it could be an electrical discharge, but it's too quiet to hear when I run the engine with the cover off. The air intake noise drowned it out and didn't allow me to pinpoint it.

Anyway, I'll check into the electrical (timing, spark, etc...) and compression before opening up and digging in deep.

Thanks again for the inputs. I'm sure I'll have more questions. It's a tough one to diagnose for an amateur.