Oil change problems 90 HP Nissan

soak 'n fused

Seaman
Hello all- I recently bought one of those adapter kits from iboats for changing the lower unit gear oil on my 1990 90 HP Nissan outboard. Well I let my buddy use it to change his Mercury outboard and said it worked fine. When I went to do my boat I could not get the adapter to thread into my fill hole. Is it possible that this is a metric plug? The kit adapter seems a little big to screw into the hole. Now I still have the problem of changing oil. Does anyone know of another way to do this procedure. It is impossible to fill with those little squeeze bottles. Even if you are lucky enough to get a flow going as soon as you empty a tube you have to pull it out and you lose everything you put in. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. They say you cant fill from the top because you will get an air leak. HELP!!!!!!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil change problems 90 HP Nissan

The fill hole on my Honda 25 is too small for the tip that is on the pump..I took the "cone" off the cap of the oil bottle and cut the tip off..then pushed it over the threaded tip of the pump tube till it was tight and held it into the fill hole..worked perfect.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Oil change problems 90 HP Nissan

The engine is metric, the fittting is SAE. Just hold the fitting up against the hole with your right hand. Then pump the oil with your left hand. Then put in the top screw with your 3rd hand. IE...It's easier with some help.